1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this have an official term?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by James, Sep 17, 2010.

1. James

James Well-Known Member

I am not good with business letters and things, so I am unsure on the terminology of such things and I decided to ask this nice, mature audience as opposed to the immature audiences I generally come across.

When reading letters or looking at websites, words and phrases often have characters appended to them to suggest some kind of hidden terms with the offer. Example:
    Thanks if anyone can help. I have been referring to them as "special characters", but I think that's just because I spend too much time on the internet!

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

They're just typographical symbol or glyphs used for footnotes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagger_(typography)

3. James

James Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they were glyphs because they're usually used as an alternate definition (such as accents on letters) from what I remember. I'll go with footnote, thanks Brogan :)

4. GofD

GofD Well-Known Member

Oftentimes, those are disclaimers.

5. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

Or addendums. 

6. James

James Well-Known Member

In the particular document I'm analysing (yawns) it's more of a condition than a disclaimer. Addendum could work, I'll have a think about whether or not to use footnote or addendum :)

Thanks everyone.

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

An addendum usually comes at the end of a publication, like a supplement or appendix, not at the bottom of pages.

8. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Aren't they simply footnotes if at the bottom of a page?