Does this fair

Danny88

Hi

I am working with one of developer here for several addons already. His rate $80/hour (a professional/skillful coder rate) which he charging his work plus every minutes he took on replying to my tickets on his ticketing system. So if total sum of the project worth 8 hours, normally that is includes about 1-1.5 hours only for writing answers.

Do you think charging the the write up is normal?

Hi

I am working with one of developer here for several addons already. His rate $80/hour (a professional/skillful coder rate) which he charging his work plus every minutes he took on replying to my tickets on his ticketing system. So if total sum of the project worth 8 hours, normally that is includes about 1-1.5 hours only for writing answers.

Billable time is billable time.

Hi

I was going to comment earlier... Anything you agree to at the beginning of a relationship with a dev automatically becomes fair. If you're instead asking if this is typical for devs, that's what shopping around teaches us. I've never seen or heard of a dev charging for time related to answering customer tickets. Making that billable time. But if he was up front on this from the beginning and you agreed to it, it's fair.

I can see his point - making that time billable instead of just part of the overhead probably saves him time for what he's hiring out to do - developing and writing code. The idea being the ticket system becomes much less time consuming if the customer knows it adds to the bill.

Can't knock it regardless, as long as it was a part of the deal from the start.

Depends on your arrangement but if you are asking if it acceptable, yes. The time he is taking to formulate responses could be used on other clients so this is how he has structured his billing. Others may not. Every arrangement is unique.

The partner I used to use for my employer's corporate ERP and CRM systems used to ding us $75 (half hour at their rate) for support calls so it's not unprecedented in the IT world. We didn't have a contract at that time, though. If we did, we could have had other arrangements so, as others have said, you have to look at their terms and if you're contracting them, make sure things like support rates are in the contract.

I never charged for time spent answering questions, providing one on one support, etc. when I did custom development.

But maybe that's just me.
I agree in my personal opinion support should be a given unless your charging for like optional phone, "urgent" and other support services outside of the norm.

As with others mentioned if support is stated that it wasn't inclusive then it still a fair deal as the client could easily just (n)the deal and look for devs that don't charge for "standard" support queries.

Top Bottom