XF 1.4 Does changing style affects add-ons?

clove28

Hi everyone,

I've been searching for hours but still haven't found an answer. I'm planning to use a new style for my forum. But before that, I'd like to ask if it affects the installed add-ons? Do I need to re-install the add-on on the new style?

I hate re-installing the add-ons because it resets all the customization/settings I've done. I hope someone could help. Thanks!

The addon is there period, installation of addons has nothing to do with installing or using new themes. The style will carry over if any common classes are used. You may have to adjust the styling for some themes. Under templates there will be the template for each add on and you can customize them per style if needed. A well written theme and well designed add on will often look fine. It's difficult sometimes for that to work out especially with dark themes or very complex addons.

Thanks @rainmotorsports. I actually tried to install a new theme and I notice that some add ons haven't taken effect. So I just need to edit some templates to make them work then? I thought it's conflicting with the themes that's why it didn't show. :D

One more question, if I intall a new theme, do I need to make the default XF style as a parent style? Thanks!

Thanks @rainmotorsports. I actually tried to install a new theme and I notice that some add ons haven't taken effect. So I just need to edit some templates to make them work then? I thought it's conflicting with the themes that's why it didn't show. :D

One more question, if I intall a new theme, do I need to make the default XF style as a parent style? Thanks!

Some add-ons are dependent off Template Modifications, so if your style has changed part of the html/css where the add-on is trying to do the find and replace then it could have issues.

It is possible the addon uses a template modification that isn't working with the theme. Basically the base template has changed to where the "find" part of the mod doesn't have a match. If you give the style and addon someone might be able to help sort it. Sometimes the solution might be to duplicate the template modification with changes to what its looking for in the template.

For example Waindigo's Forum Jump Menu uses a template mod that doesn't work with XenBase themes. So Pixel Exit the creator of XenBase and the themes based on it distribute what is likely an extra template modification for that addon. It might be needed to do this once in awhile. In template modifications you can see each one and it will have numbers indicating how many matches it had. So for me I have 5 themes installed if the modification said 4 then its not working on one of my themes.

No it can be its own parent. There is actually a hidden master style that is the same as the default theme and all styles are children of it. You can only see this in debug mode.

I guess this would be considered preference but I don't us the XF theme as a parent on any of my styles.

1. Install new theme without a parent.
2. Create new theme with newly installed theme as the parent.
3. Disable parent theme so noone can select / use it. Never edit this parent.
4. Make ALL template edits in the child theme that you create. Will make updating your theme much easier later on.

Thanks @Russ and @rainmotorsports! I'm planning to use the Xendisconnect by Pixelexit, I really like it's color, do you think it has changes of html or css?

Here's a list of my add-ons

Admin Image Uploader by Waindigo1.0.2
Double Post Merge 1.1.0
Find Unanswered Threads1.0.5
Inactive Members2.5
Install and Upgrade by Waindigo1.1.9
Join User Group by Waindigo1.1.6
Library by Waindigo1.3.10
Login As User by Waindigo1.1.9b
Minimum Post Length Enforcer1.0.2
New User Conversation1.9
Nodes As Tabs1.2.2