1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else allow for anonymous guest posts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Edrondol, Jun 6, 2011.

  1. Edrondol

    Edrondol Well-Known Member

    I have a sub board that is called "Ask Dave & Jay" where anyone can ask questions, including those who are not logged in. All guest posts are moderated, but we haven't had any spam, no trolling posts.

    Does anyone else allow guest posts in any part of their boards and is your experience as positive?
  2. whynot

    whynot Well-Known Member

    Yes,I do and have a positive experience.
    Spam is rare.
  3. Ingenious

    Ingenious Well-Known Member

    I am really interested to read that you've tried it and had good results from it. To me it sounds like it would be a magnet for abuse and spam :)
  4. James

    James Well-Known Member

    This is why I'm reluctant to allow guest posting. That and I want more members dammit :mad:
  5. whynot

    whynot Well-Known Member

    That part is protected with Q&A, bots cannot go through,no spam from them.
    Human visitor can answer the question and post their "anything"
    The post is not visible to the members.
    Their post will be moved to the other parts of the forum or simply removed.
    Is it worth to reply to such post? If it is than it will be answered.
    Is the visitor happy with the response? He/she might register and continue posting.
  6. Edrondol

    Edrondol Well-Known Member

    Yup. to post they have to go through CAPTCHA and moderation. But we've not yet seen a spam post during moderation. I've really been happy with it. Oh, and my users have posted anonymously asking personal questions.
  7. jonsidneyb

    jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

  8. Panupat

    Panupat Well-Known Member

    I have 1 Q&A sub forum which is open to all too. But I seriously hate captcha... I think it's so annoying to try to read its text. I always use my own simple questions.
    Vodkaholic and whynot like this.
  9. Adam Howard

    Adam Howard Well-Known Member

    We allowed guest posting in one forum and I think only 6 people ever posted as a guest.
  10. Trombones13

    Trombones13 Well-Known Member

    Do you do anything to prevent, say, angry banned members from posting up a storm there? Just wondering. :)
    Ranger375 likes this.
  11. whynot

    whynot Well-Known Member

    On my forum only moderators can see those posts.
    Even the angry banned member cannot see them which can be very disappointing for them.
    "How many of the moderators saw my post? Are they(moderators) angry?"
  12. Dark Matter

    Dark Matter Active Member

    Won't allowing guest post make setting up staff moderation permissions harder, what can be moved to other forums?
  13. jmurrayhead

    jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

    Hell no.
  14. Markos

    Markos Well-Known Member

    Yes, in my future board i will allow guest posts, but only in the forums created for the comments to the portal articles.
  15. Edrondol

    Edrondol Well-Known Member

    As I stated, their messages get moderated. So they can TRY and post as much as they want, but ultimately they would fail.
  16. a legacy reborn

    a legacy reborn Well-Known Member

    I allow it in our pre-sale forum. I use CloudFlare so 99% of spammers dont even get to see my site, the other 1% is an easy clean-up. Banned members, if I will ban someone I will ban their IP as well, so let them go around and try posting in that single node.

Share This Page