Document Manager (Article, tutorial, manual) 30$ from the 1st to the 15th of September [Paid]

Allan

Allan submitted a new resource:

Document Manager - ThemesCorp.com - ThemesCorp has created for you a new complete application add-on for XenForo: Document Manager !

Introduction

Demo: Documents | ThemesCorp.com
More screens: New Addon - Document Manager | ThemesCorp.com

ThemesCorp has created for you a new complete application add-on for XenForo: Document Manager !

With ThemesCorp's Document Manager, you and your users can create documents, manuals, tutorials, books, or any kind of document type, and maintain then overtime very...

Read more about this resource...

Nope, as you edit sections and so an so forth.

We are going to put a test category on ThemesCorp.com so that you can test.

Clément

So i have an idea on how to use this on my website, but theirs just one problem for me. The look and design is just like the resource manager. Wish the structure of the page was displayed in a totally new way. So it will feel like a new element to websites. The best part is the way you can edit the top with your content, and it also displays in a tab on your members profile. The Grid View is nice, but i would like a simple view like,
2012_youtube_background_psd_template_by_epiem-d4yx3zh.jpg

Maybe have a image slider banner on top where the youtube video is at, or even have a youtube video embed option, and then have all the Documents fall under that like soooooo. I would like to change the name from documents on my board tho to match what we are doing. Soooo yeah just my thoughts, cause i would buy this add-on if it would come close to fitting our needs.

I tend to have hard time understanding what you seek exactly.

Could you make a sketch rather than a screenshot, that would best fit to documents or kinda ?

It seems like you want sidebar + content with one element per row with a big thumbnail rather than the small icon ?

For the element above, I'd say that's very custom, you could achieve that through template edit.

Document can be changed to anything you want through language file edit, we provided 4 sets as a basis but you are free to make your own.

Clément

Am I correct that this is more an articles system than a PDF/Office other documents browser?
Or do you plan to implement a documents browser for PDF/Word/Powerpoint/Excel?

It could be seen as an articles system (no "articles" set available yet) if you wanted to have an area where you have your users writing articles sorted in categories.
Each contains subsections in it (though articles are generally single page text without subsections).

At some point I might consider providing export to PDF or export to Word feature but that will depend if I find a library that offers the capability and is able to get the images (which I wasn't able to for the Thread Print addon of ours).

Regarding your second question, while I think at it, it is a very interesting idea as documents (or articles as you seem to want to call them) could be either ones written directly from our Document Manager interface or uploaded viewable through an embedded viewer.
I have a solution for pdf, would have to see if I am able to get one for other files format but I guess that's feasible.
I might clearly consider implementing that in an upcoming version with the possibility for users to say "this is an online written document" or "this is an uploaded document".
If that's what you are pointing at ?

Was that the title "Document Manager" that missled you ?

Clément

In the present form, it seems like an articles system. This is what I though this addon would do when I first saw name of of it.
Document management system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are indeed right, we might consider renaming it to a more appropriate name like Documents Editor or Article System.
I'll discuss this with Allan.

Thanks for the clarification, as english is not our mother-tongue we wrongly interpreted.

To me this just looks like a blatant duplication of the resource manager. Seems to have most of the same features.

@MtoR

What would you call this system in French?

Something like Gestionnaire de Contenu but that I think at it it's not good either ^^

To me this just looks like a blatant duplication of the resource manager. Seems to have most of the same features.

I kinda disagree with you, it's indeed logical that it seems to you that this looks similar to the resource manager as it is aimed at providing consistent look'n'feel and it has all core technology features that xF offers with their content stuff (You know all the XXXXHandler stuff in the directories).
However this application is aimed at writing text (or articles) like a publishing system and not a download manager.

Clément

The main page is similar but its operation is very different.

I suggest you try our demo to get a more detailed idea of these features.

Each contains subsections in it (though articles are generally single page text without subsections).
Yes, this is similar to VaultWiki's headline function. Which brings me to my next question: any plans for revision control?

At some point I might consider providing export to PDF or export to Word feature but that will depend if I find a library that offers the capability and is able to get the images (which I wasn't able to for the Thread Print addon of ours).
What would be the point? Maybe someone would need it, but I guess there are few admins who want to make it easier for people to download redistribute their content. It will only lead to document torrenting without any need to visit communities. i.e. instead of attracting users it decreases user influx.

Regarding your second question, while I think at it, it is a very interesting idea as documents (or articles as you seem to want to call them) could be either ones written directly from our Document Manager interface or uploaded viewable through an embedded viewer.
I have a solution for pdf, would have to see if I am able to get one for other files format but I guess that's feasible.
I might clearly consider implementing that in an upcoming version with the possibility for users to say "this is an online written document" or "this is an uploaded document".
If that's what you are pointing at ?
I have many thousands of PDF's and Office documents uploaded to Links and Downloads Manager on vbulletin. I'd like to
  1. import these into xenforo
  2. embed the documents in a xenforo addon
Was that the title "Document Manager" that missled you ?
Yes, indeed.
You are indeed right, we might consider renaming it to a more appropriate name like Documents Editor or Article System.
A document is often a file type rather than an article type. If you consider the name Article System then mind that there already is an addon called Article Management System. If you add embedding of document files then the name document manager is fitting. If not then something like Articles & Guides Repository would fit.

Yes, this is similar to VaultWiki's headline function. Which brings me to my next question: any plans for revision control?

Like edition history ? xF has an edition history I could perhaps use for that, you know the one used in templates.

What would be the point? Maybe someone would need it, but I guess there are few admins who want to make it easier for people to download redistribute their content. It will only lead to document torrenting without any need to visit communities. i.e. instead of attracting users it decreases user influx.

Sure thing, will see if it's requested.

I have many thousands of PDF's and Office documents uploaded to Links and Downloads Manager on vbulletin. I'd like to
  1. import these into xenforo
  2. embed the documents in a xenforo addon

If it's just putting the files for download I'd say the Resource Manager fits your needs.
If it's making them not available to download but viewable then perhaps my Document Manager, with the functionality of having files viewable through an embedded viewer.

A document is often a file type rather than an article type. If you consider the name Article System then mind that there already is an addon called Article Management System. If you add embedding of document files then the name document manager is fitting. If not then something like Articles & Guides Repository would fit.

Thanks for your advice, I think that we will stick to Document Manager for now.

If it's making them not available to download but viewable then perhaps my Document Manager, with the functionality of having files viewable through an embedded viewer.
Having a document viewer would be far preferable than just having it downloadable.

Top Bottom