Do you want an iphone app? I think this is the only way to go

cedivad

I've a crazy idea:
xF pays some external developer to deploy an (example) iphone app. App must be brand-able from the final admin and he must receive the source code too.
Let's see you pay the app 2000€, that is a month of work of a great coder.
You than resell the app to us (50€ each?), we brand it and we use it with our users.

Crazy?

My point here was that the skin is optimized for each of those browser types a skin built specifically for the iphone doesn't always look to great other platforms (Things like autoresizing and proventing zoom etc)

Also there MUST be a way to switch back to the normal skin if the user wishes to.

IPB3's mobile skin seems to work well across all phones so I'm sure it can be done. Obviously I haven't tested every single one out there though.

IPB3's mobile skin seems to work well across all phones so I'm sure it can be done. Obviously I haven't tested every single one out there though.

I am sure it can, in fact I know it can... I was just asking Kier and Mike to make sure this is kept in mind and to build a MOBILE skin not an iPhone skin

Continuing along that line of thought:

... significantly more value than an iPhone app at this point, resulting in the sale of a hundred thousand licenses in the first year.

Yeah, I like that train of thought :D

100 in the first hour,
1000 in the first month
10000 in the first period of the business plan
buying google 2012, 20th of december.

I want to grab the Iphone, and Droid markets. So I am willing to pay a bit more [for xenforo] just to see a mobile application.

Iphone4 may display xenforo like it was nothing....but I don't want a 'browser' I want an app that takes the user from the apps home, to the app itself and vice versa.

Personally, I'd like XenForo to focus on a solid, supported mobile template. Beyond that, I hope that TapaTalk offers their support. There is a lot involved with supporting an app and I'd hate to see the XenForo devs tied up supporting a single, albeit large platform. Mobile skin allows immediate support for iPhone, Android, webOS, BlackBerry and WP7. I run forums for all of the above.
The guys at Tapatalk are aware of this great development at Xenforo and I guess we'll hear from them at some point.

In fact, I just looked right now -- http://xenforo.com/community/threads/will-there-be-tapatalk-support.873/page-3#post-19855

They are already here. It's a great application and would be a fantastic additional feature for Xenforo. Tapatalk is already a very mature app that has gone through several enhancements and revisions. It's probably far more important for the XF team to concentrate on just getting the forum front and back end to release candidate stage and work with the folks at Tapatalk to let them handle the mobile app portion for a while.

I have to disagree with you on this point. Things that work well on the desktop do not necessarily work well on small-screen, touch-interface devices.

XenForo was designed for a desktop UI, and while I get almost perfect rendering of its pages on my iPhone, it does not represent a great browsing experience as special considerations need to be made for the minimum size of clickable controls etc.

Threads are actually fine to read on the iPhone, it's just the rest of it that needs developing for small screen devices. As someone else has said, solutions for other forum software hasn't been that great. It would be nice if browsing a xenForo site on my mobile I get everything the desktop version gives me but optimized for a tiny screen.

I don't want users to have to buy apps for their phones so they can browse my site, like tapatalk or forum runner.

On the iPad, apart from a few niggles I think it works really well. Better than other forums I use. VB3 is pretty good too though, with the default skin :eek:

I personally think that a good mobile skin for XenForo would have significantly more value than an iPhone app at this point.

Not that XenForo renders badly on mobile devices, on the contrary it renders very well (see here) but many of the UI elements are not designed for touch interaction, and therefore may be expecting hover operations or may be too small to effectively click without zooming in.

I have plans and designs for a mobile skin, though I can't say when it will debut at this point.

Excellent. Very very excellent to hear. A good mobile skin is very important to me and my future user base.

XenForo works great on the iPad, though the Next, Prev and number buttons could do with being a little bit bigger for us fat fingered cats.
It's pretty usable on the iPhone too, but the fonts could do with being a bit bigger on the iPhone.

Well, if your doing an iPhone app, can we have a Blackberry one as well please :)

Site looks okay on the Blackberry, just if the page nav goes into double figures, you can't view any more.

I started a project a few weeks ago to re-write from scratch the entire vBulletin style in HTML5 and to use the Less Framework to make it work on all device sizes, whilst also bearing in mind touch interfaces (rollovers are a big no-no).

You can see my progress here: http://test.lfgss.com/

Now that style is not yet complete, and it's for vBulletin, and I paid a pro designer and it's my copyright... but... don't build an iPhone or Android or iPad or Blackberry app... just make the HTML work everywhere.

I started a project a few weeks ago to re-write from scratch the entire vBulletin style in HTML5 and to use the Less Framework to make it work on all device sizes, whilst also bearing in mind touch interfaces (rollovers are a big no-no).

You can see my progress here: http://test.lfgss.com/

Now that style is not yet complete, and it's for vBulletin, and I paid a pro designer and it's my copyright... but... don't build an iPhone or Android or iPad or Blackberry app... just make the HTML work everywhere.

That's impressive. If XenForo had something along these lines, it would be killer.

So when's this getting done?!?!

Honestly, I think a mobile style is more suitable than an app. Looking at a certain company, and what they tried to do was market "unique applications that login specifically to a specific forum", the entire plan backfired as the rules for Apple iOS bar the flooding of applications that could be construed as "similar" in functionality. It has to be an "all in one" type app that allows a user to universally login to any site.

With a mobile style, at least we can customize the style further and have it executed properly as well as done well.

Top Bottom