Do you want an iphone app? I think this is the only way to go

cedivad

I've a crazy idea:
xF pays some external developer to deploy an (example) iphone app. App must be brand-able from the final admin and he must receive the source code too.
Let's see you pay the app 2000€, that is a month of work of a great coder.
You than resell the app to us (50€ each?), we brand it and we use it with our users.

Crazy?

Kier, do not see the white iPhone app as something important for our users. Most likely, your mobile style may be even better!

It is a way for us admins to generate income by having users pay a small fee for this app.

At this point, I'd not even think about it. But you may (!!!) have a presale of this app, bundle it etc. to have some money earlier.

Charging users to use your site in anyway, outside of subscriptions or donations, just seems wrong to me.

I charge my users by either display them ads they do not want to see, display them affiliate links where other places to buy things may be better, or come strict to the point and ask them money for my own product - where this iphone app is a nicer product to have !

There is nothing wrong with having people buy my "product" even if it is the use of my forum.

Don't know if you mean this, but on an iPhone it is actually possible to create a shortcut to a webpage on your homescreen.
Creating a shortcut on your own iPhone is different from letting thousands of members have a shortcut on their iPhone. I think it would be very hard to get thousands of members follow instructions to add a shortcut. Adding a trendy app however...

Charging users to use your site in anyway, outside of subscriptions or donations, just seems wrong to me.
Once your monthly bills get 4 figures and you dont want to plaster your site with adds, you need some income options.

There is a chance that Tapatalk will be working on Xenforo once it's out because it support most forum scripts out-of-the-box in just one app. While I agree with Kier it's good to see Xenforo to have its own mobile skin.

Sorry for going off topic (perhaps), but with media queries earlier, I meant for example this: A more modern solution to mobile browsing a site, vs just a fancy rss feed ..

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/201...ion-of-your-website/

Thanks. Very interesting! See also: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/responsive-web-design/

Also, view this page fullscreen on your desktop: http://www.alistapart.com/d/responsive-web-design/ex/ex-site-linearize.html and then try your iPhone. I think it is simply amazing. It perfectly adapts completely to the size of your iPhone, making zooming in and out and scrolling horizontally a thing of the past.

This is what I meant by:

Browsing through Safari on your iPhone without any dedicated mobile skin is just... not the way it should or is meant to be IMHO. Especially when it comes to a site powered by forum software, which has so many user functions that are just not designed to be used on a tiny little screen with you having to zoom in and out all the freakin' time as the enduser.

The future has begun :cool:.

I think the Mobile App vs Mobile Theme is now a dead issue :).
Check out the latest jQuery news: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ent.2071/#post-29941
A fully cross platform XF mobile theme that looks awesome? Without the maintenance issues of an app?
DONE! :)
I agree. This seems to be the perfect solution. A web app that behaves like a native application but resides on the server and works accross all platforms. It seems like the Holy Grail. :)

a mobile friendly theme that is bundled in the default installer is a must today.

third party themes are likely to be available after xf is launched but developers should consider bundling something with the installer itself. would make a great selling point.

Personally, I'd like XenForo to focus on a solid, supported mobile template. Beyond that, I hope that TapaTalk offers their support. There is a lot involved with supporting an app and I'd hate to see the XenForo devs tied up supporting a single, albeit large platform. Mobile skin allows immediate support for iPhone, Android, webOS, BlackBerry and WP7. I run forums for all of the above.

This is awesome news, it has been asked about a mobile skin for a while :D... I hope you won't just target the iPhone browser though but actually iPhone, Android, WebOS, Blackberry equally... I do agree that other than the slightly messed up navbar on both the iPhone and Android based handsets the whole thing looks pretty awesome on mobile devises ATM :D
IPB3 has a mobile skin, and when you visit on any of the phones listed above it automatically switched to the mobile skin. If any other's come on the market you can update it in admin. I'm sure Xenforo will be no different if they release a mobile skin alongside the standard skin.

For the most part, Xenforo works really well on iPad. So much so that using Xenforo on a real computer feels like going backwards :eek:

Other forums are more of a pain on iPad due to the skins being too visually complex.

IPB3 has a mobile skin, and when you visit on any of the phones listed above it automatically switched to the mobile skin. If any other's come on the market you can update it in admin. I'm sure Xenforo will be no different if they release a mobile skin alongside the standard skin.

My point here was that the skin is optimized for each of those browser types a skin built specifically for the iphone doesn't always look to great other platforms (Things like autoresizing and proventing zoom etc)

Also there MUST be a way to switch back to the normal skin if the user wishes to.

Top Bottom