1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think someone will 'disrupt' the paid forum software industry?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Carlos, Sep 12, 2012.

?

Do you think someone will disrupt the Paid Forum Software market?

1. Yes.

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No.

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Already been done.

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Still waiting...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Okay, so I was reading a post at Admin Talk and at first, I'm thinking "Hm. Good question."

Then I answered:
    I started this thread to get responses from the xenForo crowd: What do you think?

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Pricing in a particular industry isn't something that can be forced by a single player unless that player has a monopoly. A company like Facebook has that power but vB does not.

I personally think the renewal system is superior.

3. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

I answered no. It is unlikely to be disrupted - we are talking evolution, not revolution.

On the pricing end, there are many models - IMHO - which might work as well or better. The whole idea of sub-$200 forum software is based on a LOT of people using it for hobby sites. It might be that the same package (XF, for instance) could sell for $500 and still make as much money. Maybe more! It depends on the structure.

On the other end, XF could be given away free - or as donationware - and yet the company could make big bucks (add-ons, donations, consulting, etc.).

XF did the easiest thing - and that was not to reinvent that particular wheel.

4. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

You mean like "Free and Open Source Software" (FOSS) ?

You don't "disrupt" something by doing something a little different (eg. slightly different pricing model), you do it by doing something radically different (eg. offering something for free when everyone else is charging).

Look at WordPress for example. No other blogging/CMS platform can compete for market share.

Not to say that just by being free will it necessarily disrupt - it actually has to be good and have a well structured and enthusiastic community behind it.

{edit} ... and free isn't the only way to disrupt either.

5. Banana Pup

Banana Pup Well-Known Member

No, if anything thing it will just force more and more to move to other platforms or not upgrade from current. 90% of vB forums are under 500k posts, those sort of owners can't afford to drop $200.00 every time a "new and improved" version class releases.