Do you think someone will 'disrupt' the paid forum software industry?

Do you think someone will disrupt the Paid Forum Software market?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Already been done.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Still waiting...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Carlos

Okay, so I was reading a post at Admin Talk and at first, I'm thinking "Hm. Good question."

Then I answered:
Actually, I think that was the whole point of vB4/5 pricing style. I think that Internet Brands is trying to 'disrupt' this pricing system that we have now. But this is hurting iB/vBSI. I mean, why would I want to buy a version class just so that I can buy it all over again in the next version class? I was perfectly fine with renewing every year.
I started this thread to get responses from the xenForo crowd: What do you think?

I answered no. It is unlikely to be disrupted - we are talking evolution, not revolution.

On the pricing end, there are many models - IMHO - which might work as well or better. The whole idea of sub-$200 forum software is based on a LOT of people using it for hobby sites. It might be that the same package (XF, for instance) could sell for $500 and still make as much money. Maybe more! It depends on the structure.

On the other end, XF could be given away free - or as donationware - and yet the company could make big bucks (add-ons, donations, consulting, etc.).

XF did the easiest thing - and that was not to reinvent that particular wheel.

Do you think someone will disrupt the Paid Forum Software market?

You mean like "Free and Open Source Software" (FOSS) ?

You don't "disrupt" something by doing something a little different (eg. slightly different pricing model), you do it by doing something radically different (eg. offering something for free when everyone else is charging).

Look at WordPress for example. No other blogging/CMS platform can compete for market share.

Not to say that just by being free will it necessarily disrupt - it actually has to be good and have a well structured and enthusiastic community behind it.

{edit} ... and free isn't the only way to disrupt either.

No, if anything thing it will just force more and more to move to other platforms or not upgrade from current. 90% of vB forums are under 500k posts, those sort of owners can't afford to drop $200.00 every time a "new and improved" version class releases.

Top Bottom