• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Do you set moderator permissions per-user or using a group?

Looking for some general advice on managing my moderators. I only have Super Moderators on my board and at that, only a handful of them (we're at 12 including the 4 Administrators).

Poking around tonight I realized that the moderator privledges are set per-user. They're also in the Moderating group but that group has all permissions listed as Not Set so it's mostly a null-op group for permissions, it just sets the banner color on the users.

Given I have a uniform set of permissions applied to all the moderators, should I migrate those permissions to the Moderating group and make the per-user permissions Not Set?

I'm not entirely certain of the ramifications of going about it this way. From a functional perspective, it should be equivalent to what I have now, correct? There's no part of moderating a Xenforo board that demands the permissions be given at the user level?

Thanks!

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Fundamentally, it makes no difference whether permissions are set at the user or user group level.

I have common moderator permissions set in the user group and moderator specific permissions set per user.

Martok

All of my super moderators have the same permissions, so they are all set via the moderating user group as it's easier to manage. When I add someone as a super moderator in the ACP, I don't give them any individual permissions, I just tick the option to also add them to the moderating user group.