Do you inform members when you delete their content?

CTXMedia

I curious to know how other forum owners/managers deal with deleting moderated content.

Do you inform the member who's content you are deleting?

If so, what method or methods do you use to inform them; alert, post in thread, PM, email, etc.?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

XenForo automatically sends an alert (assuming you want it to) when you delete someone's post. :)

I have a policy set up with my forum's moderators to be as transparent as possible. This means that when they take action against a user's content, they will inform them.

If a user has made a genuine mistake a made a bad judgement call, then how else are they going to learn? Or, how will more disruptive users know that the moderation team won't allow them to run amok?

We moderate as stealthy as possible.. At the same time ive never used any of the newer built in moderation tools for members either.. If you cant tow the line your not welcome.. No warnings are ever issued, your just gone.. Either you fit in or you don't.. Of course im aware this isnt a one size fits all model but it has served my community well over the years..

But to be fair we do inform senior contributing members of actions such as Deleting content.. However we have a strict policy against staff editing member content. I prefer my staff to delete entire posts with content that breaks the forums TOS.. over editing offending materiel.. Ive noticed this approach seems to alleviate some of that nonsense.. A member will be more careful with a one line dig in an otherwise well thought out post/thread if he/she knows we will just delete the entire thing long before a single line would ever be considered for removal.. The only exception here would be if the member requests the edit after their time limit has expired (30 minutes)..

Spammers are deleted without warning. Otherwise I like soft method, always contact user and discuss about a problem if possible.

I always bet on friendliness.

Yeah i also should have clarified that nothing is ever hard deleted except spam..

I always let them know. When deleting you include the notification message of course so it's automatic. But if I have to edit someone's post I'll PC them to say why.

It's a way to (1) educate about your forum policy (2) just plain courteous and (3) both of those

Okay, thanks - do the notifications generate arguments or disagreements with members? [ No / occasionally / regularly / constantly ]

Also, do any of you run forums with 1,000+ active daily members, and if so how do you time-manage responding to the arguments that start as a result of moderating people's content?

Top Bottom