Do you cover your webcam?

AppleAndMango

I've read a lot about this and I don't know about you but I think it's utterly stupid to think someone is spying on you via your webcam, I mean seriously... If someone has the power to watch what you're doing why not steal actual valuable information, bank details, passwords etc... I totally understand if you're downloading random software from unknown sites that's fair enough, totally possible. However without downloading any software how is this possible? To just break into someone's machine without their knowing.

I'd openly allow anyone to break into my machine without myself having to download any software, literally. I think it's stupid.

Thoughts?

I mean. There are articles and posts everywhere that tell you to "cover up your webcam now!" as though as you are already being watched or it's incredibly easy to break into someone's machine. Don't you think there'd be random photo's of celebrities being leaked online if it's as easy as the internet makes it out to be? I understand it's possible, but it's not like someone has a piece of software somewhere with a list of thousands of PC's on which they can literally just "view" a camera whenever they please?

But that's a piece of software that has to be installed on your machine, I'm talking plain Windows, OSX, or Linux. How is someone going to break into one of those?

Remotely it is, of course, difficult, locally it is laughably easy.
Thing is, it's so easy to compile and spread fully undetectable malware these days. Maybe you specifically won't download it, but potentially millions of others will.

Okay that I understand.

Basically, I'm right to say you're pretty much safe unless you start randomly downloading software you've never heard of from unknown sources? Realistically, if you kept your machine up to date whether that be Windows, OSX or Linux and you avoid peculiar download links nobody's going to be looking at you through your webcam.

Would that be a fair statement?

Mark Zuckerberg tapes over his webcam. Should you?
IMG_6039.webp

In the picture Zuckerberg posted, of himself framed by a cardboard Instagram UI (cute), his laptop is visible in the background. And as Christopher Olson pointed out, that laptop has some weird accoutrements:

Take the FBI’s director, James Comey: “I put a piece of tape over the camera because I saw somebody smarter than I am had a piece of tape over their camera.” The American digital rights group EFF sells webcam stickers, and told the Guardian’s Danny Yadron “people purchase these regularly”.

Watched the movie "Snowden" the other day. Made me think about getting rid of everything that I own which is connected to the internet.

I then realised that would be bad for business, so, they've got me, they've got us all.

Do you cover your webcam?

You can never be too sure when big brother is watching or some hacker gains access to your system. Yes, I cover the webcam(s) on tablets, phones, TV each with 6 layers of insulating tape, 2 layers of duck tape, 1 layer of standard tape and 60 layers of sticky band-aid whenever I have my clothes on. The CCTV system gets immunity and is left alone.

I've read a lot about this and I don't know about you but I think it's utterly stupid to think someone is spying on you via your webcam, I mean seriously... If someone has the power to watch what you're doing why not steal actual valuable information, bank details, passwords etc... I totally understand if you're downloading random software from unknown sites that's fair enough, totally possible. However without downloading any software how is this possible? To just break into someone's machine without their knowing.

I'd openly allow anyone to break into my machine without myself having to download any software, literally. I think it's stupid.

Thoughts?
Might as well tape up your microphone too. Hackers can turn that on too and record your conversation.

Top Bottom