• No

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I've been abducted!

Votes: 15 21.1%

• Total voters

Fred Sherman

In all honesty, I do not. I'm not sure there is other intelligent life in the universe.

Based on our current knowledge of physics, another intelligent species visiting our planet would have to be from our own galaxy. So how many potential species exist?

For that,we turn to the Drake Equation. The current estimate is 2.3 potential civilization in the entire galaxy capable of detection. Capable of interstellar travel? There is no calculation for that, but based not the trending of every new variable reducing the odds by 10%, it would be .23 - or no civilization that has the capability for interstellar travel.

My problem with the Drake Equation is that it takes into account the solar habitable zone, but not the galactic habitable zone. If we add that back into the equation, the number of potential civilizations reduces to .23 and the chance that they ever meet is .023.

This doesn't take into consideration the number of civilizations that would observe, but chose to remain undetected, have a non-interference policy, etc.

So no, I don't believe ET has visited us or ever will. We are alone.

Can that change? Sure. If humanity every reaches the point where near-light travel is possible, and we begin to colonize other solar systems, then the whole equation changes. Over time, we would change into unique species in each solar system. But for now?

ET won't be iPhoning home.

Do I believe that there's objects in the sky which haven't been identified? Sure (hence, Unidentified Flying Objects), but what you're really asking is, do you believe in aliens?

My answer to that, would be yes.

Do I believe they visit this planet? yes.

The proof is out there, you just have to investigate it yourself and avoid the conspiracy idiots/videos.

There's way to many unexplained accounts (witnesses, videos, photos etc) to simply rule out the idea of aliens visiting us, not to mention the famous cases like Rendleshem forest and Roswell.

Do I believe in UFO's? I don't think it's a matter of believing, if you cannot identify an object then this would fall into the category of being a ufo.

Do I believe another lifeform being as visited us? Yes, in the sense that life on earth could have originated from mars and transported to earth single celled life.

That said, I wouldn't looking at the drake equation as a certainty it's based on ifs and buts and nothing more look at it as a w.i.p as we acquire more knowledge. Anyway, i don't believe intelligent life has visited though i'd bet my life that life is abundant in the universe we aren't made of extraordinary stuff, Hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen etc and so forth.

the distances in my mind are way to vast 4 light years to our closest star. If there is intelligent life (i personally think there is) it just could be that we are not worth visiting with far more intelligent beings looking at us like worms much like we look at worms. If we do get confirmation that theres life I think it won't be through visiting but through radio signals.

the distances in my mind are way to vast 4 light years to our closest star. If there is intelligent life (i personally think there is) it just could be that we are not worth visiting with far more intelligent beings looking at us like worms much like we look at worms. If we do get confirmation that theres life I think it won't be through visiting but through radio signals.

Yea, but, you're thinking in human terms, 4 light years to us, might be 4 minutes for a civilization advanced enough to travel to other star systems.

In the same way people once thought we'd never land on the moon, because it was 238,000 miles away.

Also, an advanced civilization visiting us would probably be no different to us plucking dolphins out of the sea, tagging them, then watching how far they travel, same with birds etc.

Who's to say they aren't already doing that with microscopic implants we can't even detect? :P

Yea, but, you're thinking in human terms, 4 light years to us, might be 4 minutes for a civilization advanced enough to travel to other star systems.

In the same way people once thought we'd never land on the moon, because it was 238,000 miles away.

Also, an advanced civilization visiting us would probably be no different to us plucking dolphins out of the sea, tagging them, then watching how far they travel, same with birds etc.

Who's to say they aren't already doing that with microscopic implants we can't even detect? :p

I'm not saying intelligent life hasn't visited, I said I don't think they have visited. whether they can bend space to achieve faster than light space travel is down to conjecture and debate. I'm not saying anything, I'm stating my opinions based on facts not what holywood portrays. :)

Look at the kepler mission. It's starting to detect planets 5 times the mass of the earth, we take baby steps and acquire knowledge based on facts which my opinions are based on. the distances in my opinion are just too vast, space is a deadly environment even to travel especially for carbon based life but who's to say life has to be carbon based?

I myself don't believe that there is a faster than light travel, the only thing that can travel faster than light is space itself. I could be wrong with the light barrier can't be broken, I probably am wrong. I like to think I keep an open mind about this kind of stuff but focus on facts, confirmation. If I want to guess or not ask those fundamental questions I'd read a bible. (y)

Didn't vote.

Do UFO's exist? Yes definitely, just depends on the observer in most cases. Are there UFO's piloted by alien life, very unlikely to be ever observed.

I am pretty certain that alien life exists but there civilisation is most likely to far away from us for us to ever make contact. I would love for a alien piloted UFO to land itself in front of a TV news camera, that would be interesting.

The proof is out there, you just have to investigate it yourself and avoid the conspiracy idiots/videos.

There's way to many unexplained accounts (witnesses, videos, photos etc) to simply rule out the idea of aliens visiting us, not to mention the famous cases like Rendleshem forest and Roswell.

The Belgian UFO flap is as good as it gets for me.

Do I believe that there's objects in the sky which haven't been identified? Sure (hence, Unidentified Flying Objects), but what you're really asking is, do you believe in aliens?

My answer to that, would be yes.

Do I believe they visit this planet? yes.

I watched a lecture with Neil degrasse tyson & richard dawkins the other night and neil made a good point.

You line up a group of children in a classroom and the first one tells a story then the next child has to repeat that story by the time you get to the end of the line that story has changed dramatically and nothing like that story was which originated from the first child. Rumour, hearsay it's rife.

Conspiracy theories? just like the conspiracy theories that Americans didn't land on the moon? I take hearsay, rumours doctored photos,vids with a grain of salt.

When I was about 5 years old, I was outside playing with the girl across the street just after the sun set. It was summer and I lived in a nice neighborhood so parents allowed that kind of thing back then. Anyway, the girl points up the block and says 'look its king and queen of the fireflies".

I turned around and there they were, two beings - about 3 to 4 feet tall, bi-pedal like an ant with a head section, a mid section and an end section, very translucent wings and yes, they were glowing rather like fireflies do. They flew down my block, turned the corner (I live by a major highway), and disappeared before I could get there.

I'm not sure what they were but other people who lived in my block saw these beings at later points in time.

What makes the events even more curious is a report of a UFO landing in Kissena Park in Flushing, NY. There was a story in the local community newspaper (which you can google and read for yourself) about a bus full of passengers who witnessed this event.What isn't in the papers however is that plant life wouldn't grow around the area where the UFO was seen. Every year for about ten years they would plant new trees and grass and they always died. A few years ago they tore up that entire area. Dug about 6 feet deep and hauled in new soil from another site. Since then its been okay.

But ... if you look on a map, I am directly south of the UFO sighting. And those beings I mentioned were headed north. I am not sure if the events are related but its enough for me to keep a very open mind about such things.

Whether or not they have visited earth already or are even intelligent at all, I believe that somewhere out there, is life. The universe is way too big for anyone to say there isn't. I've never seen an alien spacecraft or anything that would resemble one, so I can't say for sure.

I should mention I don't take the discussion lightly.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I studied physics under Dr. Kasher and was a TA for him. I've had many discussion on the topic.

Yes, any unidentified military aircraft would technically be a UFO, but thats not really what I'm asking.

Whether or not they have visited earth already or are even intelligent at all, I believe that somewhere out there, is life. The universe is way too big for anyone to say there isn't. I've never seen an alien spacecraft or anything that would resemble one, so I can't say for sure.
We've found evidence of life in our own solar system. That isn't in dispute. I would guess that life is probably rare in terms of life to solar system ration, but abundant is numbers. What is very rare is that life is able to evolve into complex forms, develop intelligence and sentience, use technology, and avoid self-destruction. Then to have two or more such civilizations reach that pinnacle in overlapping points of time within detectable distances.

The speed of light still remains and absolute. There is no FTL travel, no warp drives, no worm holes larger than the quantum level.

I think humans are some higher intelligence's GMOs...and that we are just repeating history.

whatever...take me to your leader.

The question should be 'do you believe that we have been visited by intelligent extraterrestrial species'. My answer to that question is no, there is not sufficient evidence to support that belief.

Unidentified flying objects? Sure. There are all kinds of objects floating/shooting through space that have, as of yet, not been identified.

Do I believe in other life forms? Yep.

Top Bottom