XF 1.2 Do Robot crawls affect thread view count?

NeoCHI

I was just curious whether Google or w/e search engine crawls affect thread view counts or those counts are solely made up of user views.

Yes, the do.

Take a look at ControllerPublic/Thread.php and we got this
Code:
$threadModel->logThreadView($threadId);

And inside that is an insert to the database. There is no logic that says "but if it is a robot, nevermind". That means that anytime Google, Baidu or any other spider hits your page, they bump the view count by 1 :)

Great thanks!

This makes me wonder then, do robots crawl evenly or do they prefer threads with hot keywords. For example if I have 3 threads titled:
  • foobar
  • hello world
  • ipad mini retina
Would robots crawl the thread titled "ipad mini retina" more? Basically, I want to know whether the thread view counts are even reliable anymore as a way to determine what my members are interested in.

Great thanks!

This makes me wonder then, do robots crawl evenly or do they prefer threads with hot keywords. For example if I have 3 threads titled:
  • foobar
  • hello world
  • ipad mini retina
Would robots crawl the thread titled "ipad mini retina" more? Basically, I want to know whether the thread view counts are even reliable anymore as a way to determine what my members are interested in.
You are entering dangerous territory. The short answer is .. nobody knows. Maybe not even Google. They delegated that to their algorithm to in a smart way discover which content needs to be crawled how often. Some pages like news tend to be crawled more often, while pages that do not change often are not crawled as much. I would not be surprised if "hot topics" get priority.

I just know that they seem to be permanent guests these days. 10 users online and 90 spiders. Fun.

Top Bottom