Do I really want to go back to square one?

Code Monkey

I've been away from forums for a few years. I am back and see that nothing has changed in vBulletin and nothing is changing. Well one thing has changed, everyone left. I see many of the old usernames here that I used to see there. While vBulletin is powerful software, to say the least, it has gone down so many wrong turns it may never right the course again.

Anyway, two months back in the saddle and I'm thinking of change. So is it worth it? I mean it's a big cash consideration and I will most likely loss all my mods. But there is something to be said about a breath of fresh air. So I am 50/50 right now.

What are the pro's and cons that you guys have encountered in changing over? Is there a vb4 migration checklist? Converters, etc.

Anyway, change always makes me nervous. lol

Who knows, make a cold dive into something new might get me coding again.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Hello Code Monkey, it's great to see you here, and generally nice to see old forum "usernames" come back as you put it.

I'm no coder, but in my perspective, even getting prepared to switch to XF has me in a new creative mood for my largest community, which I believe is a win by itself. ;)

I think if you look at the direction vB is going in - and do the same with XF - it'll be crystal clear which one is going to be worth your time, money, and coding investment. ;)

Is there an arcade mod?
How about an equivalent to vB_Optimize or spam-o-matic?
Is there a mod site like vborg?

Nice to see you here Code Monkey :)

I highly recommend xenForo. There is an arcade mod I do believe. You can browse the vB.org equivalent here: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/

There are plenty of spam add-ons within that. FoolbotHoneypot and StopHumanSpam are great.

I haven't found a need for a 3rd party optimization add-on, xenForo is incredibly fast out of the box. You will see a great speed improvement over vBulletin.

CM one of the key genius traditions of XF is that addons are not separated on another site. They are so well integrated that the mods here know the main ones (often lots of others too) and can refer you to them. Plus a bit of support though the main support is on the addon's thread right here on XF of course.

The Resource Manager which hosts the addons, also tutorials, code snips etc etc is also an XF official addon which you can use and adapt for your own site/s.

Generally XF is just cute. Fzast, sleek, SEO+, sticky, easy to customise design or function, admincp is orderly and clear. fast supportive community here and lots of other XF support sites too.
There are a few niggles but they are mainly covered by good addons, and some are being included in the forthcoming XF 1.2 (no arrival date yet but it won't be long I think)

CM one of the key genius traditions of XF is that addons are not separated on another site. They are so well integrated that the mods here know the main ones (often lots of others too) and can refer you to them. Plus a bit of support though the main support is on the addon's thread right here on XF of course.

The Resource Manager which hosts the addons, also tutorials, code snips etc etc is also an XF official addon which you can use and adapt for your own site/s.

Generally XF is just cute. Fzast, sleek, SEO+, sticky, easy to customise design or function, admincp is orderly and clear. fast supportive community here and lots of other XF support sites too.
There are a few niggles but they are mainly covered by good addons, and some are being included in the forthcoming XF 1.2 (no arrival date yet but it won't be long I think)

Yes I noticed that mods are not on another "super secret not us but we own it wink wink nudge nudge" site. I like that. What's the point of pretending to pretend.

Did we work on a style together many years back? If so been a very long time and hope all is well and good to see you back. :)

Yes we did and I probably drove you crazy doing it. I still have all the graphics but no idea how to implement it in the new styling schemas. You also made me those cool animated monkey emoticons. I'm glad to see your talents are still thriving.

It is available from here also (originally we had it released just at XFArcade.com until it was stable enough to release here)... :)
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/xf-arcade.1526/

Awesome, thanks Kevin. Will it import from vBarcade?

Code Monkey!!! Talk about a blast from the past! :) (you'll remember me from when I owned vBSkinworks ;) )

How could I forget you John. When I needed a vb4 skin when I came back online you and shelley were the first people I looked for. Didn't find you guys and now I know why.

So I'm starting to lean.....

But now for the $64,000 question. VBSEO?

Greatest product ever made for vBulletin. It's a shame that IB's ruin of vBulletin has put Crawlability in the tank. Yes I see that XF has SEO, everybody has SEO. But VBSEO offered so much more and I would really hate to lose that awesome likes mod. So what does the XF community have to prevent me from jonesing for my vBSEO? Especially since I just paid my renewal. :D

Yes I noticed that mods are not on another "super secret not us but we own it wink wink nudge nudge" site. I like that. What's the point of pretending to pretend.

Yes we did and I probably drove you crazy doing it. I still have all the graphics but no idea how to implement it in the new styling schemas. You also made me those cool animated monkey emoticons. I'm glad to see your talents are still thriving.

How could I forget you John. When I needed a vb4 skin when I came back online you and shelley were the first people I looked for. Didn't find you guys and now I know why.

So I'm starting to lean.....

But now for the $64,000 question. VBSEO?

Greatest product ever made for vBulletin. It's a shame that IB's ruin of vBulletin has put Crawlability in the tank. Yes I see that XF has SEO, everybody has SEO. But VBSEO offered so much more and I would really hate to lose that awesome likes mod. So what does the XF community have to prevent me from jonesing for my vBSEO? Especially since I just paid my renewal. :D

SEO on xf seems to be excellent but i'm not an expert in that area but a post of Jakes that might yield some useful links for you. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xf-seo-and-vb-seo.46712/#post-502621

DP also posted some stats when he migrated over you might find interesting. https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/one-month-after-switching-from-vbulletin-to-xenforo.2637721/

Agreeing with Alien the post rating add-on is a must if you want to expand to just liking a post and it's very well supported by the author.

Yeah i think the chevrons did it :laugh: I was stumped when you asked for chevrons and wondered what they were. :D Well anyway, great to see you back so the last thing to say is hurry up and get over here we want to see more of you now your back in the forum world using XF which is really a great product I think you will like using instantly. :)

No importers, sorry. XFA is a volunteered time project with everybody involved working on it when/how we can and made available for free to anybody who wants to use it. If anybody ends up working on an importer, though, I have a standing offer that I'll chip in to any developer who wants to work on it with the provision being that it be made available to the public.

Yeah, vB4 did me in so I sold out and left vB behind. Thought I was out of the forum design scene for good then, but XF saved the day. ;) Good to see you back online and here at XF, Bill, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the least. Look forward to seeing some of your code magic again soon! :)

Top Bottom