Do I have to buy all the features at once

Forumzster

If I want the advance search can I get it later, or the $250 branding removal later? I don't think I need the resource manager for just discussions. I do want the media gallery.

If this is possible I'll get XF today.

Be aware that when you buy the addons, they are attached to your main licence, so aren't such good value in the first year if you buy just before your licennce needs the annual renewal, as you then also pay for the addons then renew at the same time. (Chris can hopefully correct me if I'm wrong about that)

What's a reliable hosting company for XF?

This one: https://mattwservices.co.uk

Last edited:
@Forumzster I use Host Rush (https://www.hostrush.com). I get a 12 GB RAM VPS with 4 cores and 100 GB SSD Disk space as well as 9 TB bandwidth for $110/year (not including the control panel "cpanel". I pay for that separate at https://www.buycpanel.com). It was not a standard deal as I obtained a deal from them on the deal offer site that I go to which is https://www.webhostingtalk.com

I suggest you search the field for your host of choosing on webhostingtalk but my host is also quite reliable and cheap too. Though my deal was not a standard deal if you look on their site you'll see that they are still very cheap for a virtual private server. Instead of paying expensive hosting for shared I suggest you get a virtual private server if you want to try my ideas out.

Another host I was looking at the other day that I cannot vouch for because I've never used them is FortVPS (https://www.fortvps.com which is even cheaper than my host on a standard deal. You could see if they are any good as well. I get my control panel license separate from buycpanel because that way I always have the control panel license even if a deal goes bad. However my host which is Host Rush is with the better business bureau and my site hasn't received a single bit of down time in over 10 months hosting with them.

It was not a standard deal as I obtained a deal from them on the deal
Right now using the code HOSTRUSH-749 will get allow you to get a VPS with the below with them for $7.49 a month (paid monthly/quarterly) or $6.99 a month (paid bi-annually).

RushOvz6-SSD
  • 4 vCPU Cores
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 8 GB SWAP
  • 75 GB RAID-10 SSD Disk Space
  • 2.5 TB Bandwidth
  • Dallas, TX Datacenter
  • 1 IP Address V4
  • SolusVM Control Panel
I don't use them and have no association with them, but am thinking about getting this deal to try out.
I see a lot of ads on Web Hosting Talk from them, but have found VERY few reviews.

EDIT:
Not off to a very good start... the link they give you to get to the SolusVM control panel is incorrect (has the port # in it twice)
You correct that and you are greeting with this
Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 2.35.43 AM.webp
the SSL cert is a self-signed certificate

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 2.38.05 AM.webp

So, needless to say, so far no warm, fuzzy feelings of happiness are present as lack of a valid SSL cert, especially in todays age of LE, are somewhat telling.

Another thing to be clear about... these are OpenVZ containers - which are OK, but are not the best choice if you are a "power" admin. A KVM solutions is a better choice.

Their service is provided by Psychz Network - who have been around for a while. If they are being factual about owning their servers (HostRush) then they are colocating in the Psychz Dallas center.

Be SURE to read their AUP before signing up if planning adult content.

I'm also extremely hesitant about a hosting provider business that uses a GMAIL contact email in their whois account.
Several things I'm seeing scream "one man shop"... but that may not be correct.

Last edited:
@Tracy Perry I honestly say go for it. The cPanel certificate is the same way but that's just due to a token issue (hence, "your" connection is not private). That's the deal with almost every host I've ever encountered when trying to login to a control panel. Especially when logging into my cPanel. I always encounter this issue and just mark the checkbox that says to confirm the exception. I can't recall a time with any web host that didn't own their own control panel where I actually did not receive a warning similar to that. They have a valid SSL certificate. They're servers are mostly in New York and they do own their own servers. Notice the "BBB" at the top of their site. I admit their support is mainly ran by a single person but these are servers that are supposed to be mainly managed by the yourself even though they claim it's managed and are willing to help you out with just about anything.

Let me know how it goes. Like I said, there's no down time on my end and hasn't been for a very long time so I'm extremely happy with this host. I hope it works out for you. I do suggest them as a cheap solution for anyone as it has worked out so well thus far. Good luck using them :D

Especially when logging into my cPanel. I always encounter this issue and just mark the checkbox that says to confirm the exception. I can't recall a time with any web host that didn't own their own control panel where I actually did not receive a warning similar to that. They have a valid SSL certificate.
With LetsEncrypt, there is no reason NOT to have ANY site under SSL.
I submitted a ticket letting them know that I was testing their site out and doing commentary on any issues I found on a thread that mentioned them. The support staff advised that they are targeting having SolusVM under a valid SSL within 2 weeks. Pretty sure the DC they are using is the Dallas location. Psychz has 3 locations in the US. Dallas, LA and Ashburn (think Virginia). I know that their (HostRush) dedicated servers are in the Dallas location.
Ticket response was surprisingly fast, and the VPS seems to be fast as well.

With LetsEncrypt, there is no reason NOT to have ANY site under SSL.
I submitted a ticket letting them know that I was testing their site out and doing commentary on any issues I found on a thread that mentioned them. The support staff advised that they are targeting having SolusVM under a valid SSL within 2 weeks. Pretty sure the DC they are using is the Dallas location. Psychz has 3 locations in the US. Dallas, LA and Ashburn (think Virginia). I know that their (HostRush) dedicated servers are in the Dallas location.
Ticket response was surprisingly fast, and the VPS seems to be fast as well.

Glad you are satisfied yes my VPS has also been running fast as well. They seem to be professional no matter how you put it even not everyone is always going to be perfect. If I was you I would make them your primary hosting company after you test them out to make sure they are what I said they were which they are. Ticket responses are usually within the hour but I do admit there seems to be only one person responding to the tickets. However, that doesn't bother me because the price is unmatched with the service I receive in support either way and I've never had any issues receiving ticket responses or with any downtime.

In around August I plan to move to double the specs for double the cost. They've offered me 24 gb ram and 8 cores, 200 gb ssd disk space and I'm sure more bandwidth for $220/year paying double the cost for double what I get now. Considering you found that coupon code on webhostingtalk if you wanted you could very well request more for a higher price which is what I did starting out. Found that same deal and requested 12 gb ram for $110/year and they went for it. Now if there server location is not in New York that's possibly up for debate. I'm just glad there in the U.S. as I do not host with offshore companies as I've learned from experience U.S. based is what I personally prefer. I think their headquarters may be in New York though and the server location in Dallas.

Anyways their website needs a makeover I will admit but there price is actually not that uncommon on WebHostingTalk which is what I recommend the OP of this thread to view when he get's a chance. Hosting doesn't have to be expensive for quality service, it just takes finding the one and not all companies are legit. It's good to look for red flags when choosing one and I've never had any issues with this host in 10 months. Which is why I'm upgrading the site in August.

But yes I'm glad you got what you wanted @Tracy Perry that's great to hear.

Let me know how it goes. Like I said, there's no down time on my end and hasn't been for a very long time so I'm extremely happy with this host. I hope it works out for you. I do suggest them as a cheap solution for anyone as it has worked out so well thus far. Good luck using them
Actually having some issues with them... but I think it has more to do with the DC they are in (Dallas Psychz DC). I've had some issues with another site that is hosted on a server with them with some high traffic loss issues (30%-50%). It apparently only happens with certain IP's since we changed the IP on the other site I was having issues with and that stopped. Now the people that I set the VPS up for are having some serious timeout issues and cannot connect to that their site that is with HostRush. Checked the firewall logs and there are no signs of any issues there.
If it continues I'll have to submit a ticket and if they can't get it resolved (which should fix it for other sites in their DC also) then I'll simply move the VPS contents over to RamNode.

Actually having some issues with them... but I think it has more to do with the DC they are in (Dallas Psychz DC). I've had some issues with another site that is hosted on a server with them with some high traffic loss issues (30%-50%). It apparently only happens with certain IP's since we changed the IP on the other site I was having issues with and that stopped. Now the people that I set the VPS up for are having some serious timeout issues and cannot connect to that their site that is with HostRush. Checked the firewall logs and there are no signs of any issues there.
If it continues I'll have to submit a ticket and if they can't get it resolved (which should fix it for other sites in their DC also) then I'll simply move the VPS contents over to RamNode.

I believe my site is hosted in the Dallas area after seeing where their servers are located. I have never experienced this issue but if you think they're getting DDoS I recommend cloudflare. Their DDoS protection may be 20 gps but cloudflare now offer free unmitigated advanced protection on free plans

If the issue is more of a timeout issue like you've mentioned the culprit is more than likely right in front of you but hard to find in the same sense. I'd have to be there to know exactly what your friend is experiencing. I'm no fan boy so to each his own, I just haven't experienced anything like this myself.

It's possible he had his ip blocked by the firewall as well. Which you can also fix by using their SolusVM built in ssh. Another possibility is your on their optic fiber network in which they just deployed that has 10 gbps ddos protection instead of 20 gbps and the new server is having issues in which I couldn't have experienced for that exact reason.

They're usually good with tickets. I wasn't making it up when I said no down time for me so not sure what the situation is. However I hope your friend will make a ticket. I'm sure Adnan will resolve it.

Regards,
Brad

If the issue is more of a timeout issue like you've mentioned the culprit is more than likely right in front of you but hard to find in the same sense. I'd have to be there to know exactly what your friend is experiencing. I'm no fan boy so to each his own, I just haven't experienced anything like this myself.
I'm pretty good around the CLI area of a server... and can typically trouble shoot if it's an actual server problem... but this is with an actual physical server that is provided by the same people that provide HostRush their bandwidth... so odds are it's a DC issue with routing - especially since it has happened from one general location into their Dallas provider. Even their Dallas (Psychz) testing site in Dallas has timeout issues... so it's not a server level firewall problem. It's higher up the routing chain in their DC.
We even went so far as to disable the firewall and the issue was still there - so it's not related to that.
And honestly - I'm not going to spend a lot of time chasing down an issue for a company I'm paying money to. I'll point the issue out and it's their turn to resolve it. It's way to easy to simply move to another VPS.
It's entirely possible that an upgrade to our ISP network may be contributing to it... but they (Psychz) have been provided with MTR data from an ISP related computer.

Went ahead and let this VPS expire as was still having some latency issues that apparently were not going to get resolved. Moved over to a DO droplet and no issues with the client connecting from their work location.

Top Bottom