Lack of interest Ditch The Default Style Hamburger Menu

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

frm

Get rid of the hamburger menu and replace it with a bottom floating menu with actionable numbers (the red box/number that appears on "What's new", etc...) on mobile only.

This would only work if people chose a FontAwesome icon for those menus at the bottom (or just fewer items before the "more" option).

Facebook, Spotify, etc. (apps) have removed it because it's been discovered that there's more user engagement that way.

The second answer here has a good explanation about it as well as a video.

If this is the new "norm" the next style to follow should be getting rid of it, creating 4-5 slots for a floating bottom menu and a "hamburger" page with "more" for those with more than 1 add-on that requires a menu item.

I would suggest a hard press, like reactions, to access the subnav of each item that stays until dismissed.

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I find the "norm" funny because it changes so often. As far as I can tell FB has moved their hamburger menu back to the top in both responsive and the app. Even the referenced site Stack Exchange has it at the top as well.

I think some styles may already have a bottom bar. We have one coming in a new update for our styles which would let you customize which links are down there. It'd be nice to see some sort of functionality like it in the core though.

I find the "norm" funny because it changes so often. As far as I can tell FB has moved their hamburger menu back to the top in both responsive and the app. Even the referenced site Stack Exchange has it at the top as well.

I think some styles may already have a bottom bar. We have one coming in a new update for our styles which would let you customize which links are down there. It'd be nice to see some sort of functionality like it in the core though.
They are A/B testing it everywhere so it's not solid. My Android FB app has the "more" with a floating menu at the bottom and there's no hamburger menu on Spotify either.

It's something to follow to see which does get more engagement if we ever learn true numbers.

But you're right, the norm does change. What if we never used CSS and still used HTML tables? Or even worse, <marquee>? Change is good and it's even better if there's more engagement.

X Pro on WordPress was a game-changer for me when I put a floating call button that used a tel: link. I know that's for sure.

(Easter egg while remembering <marquee>: search for "marquee HTML" in Google)

Bottom menu would interfere with the sticky footer ad that's popular these days. Besides... all the major areas/alerts are already in view at the top bar on mobile. Account avatar. Conversations, Alerts.

You still need a hamburger or similar menu for lesser options.

This is FaceBook's current web design. And it does have a hamburger still. and compared to xenforo.

IMG_1725.PNGIMG_1726.PNG

Bottom menu would interfere with the sticky footer ad that's popular these days
No it wouldn't. It should just push the bottom menu up, just like the top sticky pushes the menu down.
This is FaceBook's current web design. And it does have a hamburger still. and compared to xenforo.
How many use m.facebook.com over a native app, preinstalled on nearly every phone (I don't even: I request the desktop version while mobile as you can't easily share posts as Pages otherwise)?

You used a false analogy to try and prove a nonexistent argument. The design should be more like the apps because more use them and will be more comfortable with that layout as time goes on.

How many use m.facebook.com over a native app, preinstalled on nearly every phone (I don't even: I request the desktop version while mobile as you can't easily share posts as Pages otherwise)?
I refuse to install any FB apps on my devices and have no problems doing 'share to page' from any XF sites. 🤷‍♂️

I refuse to install any FB apps on my devices and have no problems doing 'share to page' from any XF sites. 🤷‍♂️
Too bad it's 10 to 1 already installed. You might've just disabled it, unless you voided your warranty to root your phone.
Hard pass.
Check out this theme https://theme.co/pro/ with #15 the bar enabled in the footer position. Not posting any live demos, but CTAs are much better there with FA buttons like FB, IG, email and even call as opposed to being in a hamburger menu with "About Us" or "Contact Us". The same could be true for the bottom on XF.

Too bad it's 10 to 1 already installed. You might've just disabled it, unless you voided your warranty to root your phone.
No, it wasn't preinstalled, no I didn't just disable it, no I didn't have to root anything. Maybe your regional market is different.

No, it wasn't preinstalled, no I didn't just disable it, no I didn't have to root anything. Maybe your regional market is different.
They might still be in the processing of testing it or different apps on different devices. My wife's Samsung A30 has the hamburger menu, but my Samsung Note 9 doesn't. Eventually, if they see the data is true that there is more engagement in different areas by not having it, be sure they will roll out an apk-wide update to all devices with it so an aggregated feed of "groups" (I mention that for obvious reasons) are more accessible as they're right up front as opposed to being tucked away in the menu.

Top Bottom