Dissapointed by IPBoard... What were your reasons for xf?

DominickV

Hi,

To offer more and better support to our customers we created a customer support forum a while back based on ipboard, (why ipboard; it looked cleaner than vbulletin and xenforo) but we had a lot of trouble and support was pretty arrogant so we were luckily able to sell our license wrather quickly.

At that point we decided not to create a new forum but customers liked the forum part so we are reconsidering it and with that are reconsidering xenforo.

I was wondering, why did you (to the community) choose for xenforo compared to ipboard/vbulletin or burning boards. We are also considering Burning Boards.

I tried IPB during Xenforo's dark days and it turned out to be a big waste of time and thousands of dollars. I didn't like it, and more importantly my members didn't like it. Simple things that I can do in minutes with Xenforo I wasted months worth of time trying to do with IPB and eventually failed.

I have owned pretty much everything from IPB to VB(seriously not sure wtf those folks are thinking these days).

I had to roll out a project with this stuff a few weeks ago and mind=blown. This stuff is tits. I am about to start customizing stuff. I frankly cant wait to get cracking.

I also installed a bunch of mods and widgety stuff. I spent literally about 4 minutes having to debug one quick issue. For a week straight I hammered on the stuff with literally zero problems. Its frankly unheard of.

Nigel

I chose xenForo because I loved its look and feel (and I saw no future for vB). It's been more than half a year since I converted my forum and I couldn't be happier; although for a support type forum I'd probably choose something else (other than the traditional forum software.)

Hi,

To offer more and better support to our customers we created a customer support forum a while back based on ipboard, (why ipboard; it looked cleaner than vbulletin and xenforo) but we had a lot of trouble and support was pretty arrogant so we were luckily able to sell our license wrather quickly.

At that point we decided not to create a new forum but customers liked the forum part so we are reconsidering it and with that are reconsidering xenforo.

I was wondering, why did you (to the community) choose for xenforo compared to ipboard/vbulletin or burning boards. We are also considering Burning Boards.
I have experienced much of what you have with IP.Board and as you noted, the support was very 'arrogant' (rude, slow, disrespectful, and hostile).

I tried IPB during Xenforo's dark days and it turned out to be a big waste of time and thousands of dollars. I didn't like it, and more importantly my members didn't like it. Simple things that I can do in minutes with Xenforo I wasted months worth of time trying to do with IPB and eventually failed.

Also experienced this as well. IPB turned out to be a black hole when it came to expenses. Renewal cost every 6 months, support cost, resource cost, and it just kept adding and adding.

XenForo is very cost effective with renewal fee being only 1x each year (at only $40), support here is free directly from the developers via tickets, support from members on the forums DOES really exist and is friendly (also free), resource use is minimal, and best of all xenforo is stable, secure, and fast loading (faster than burning board as well).

Last edited:
I had a very positive support experience with IPB when I implemented it in one of my forums, staff was very helpful and sorted out all of the problems I had moving from vbulletin, even encoding issues with my database.

The main reasons for me leaving it was the very limited add-ons that existed for that platform, the not so helpful community (not in terms of being rude or anything, it just wasn't easy to get a lot of responses/interaction in there), and finally the admin panel.

Last edited:
Hi,

some of my early posts explain why I moved from IPB. I chose xenforo for integration and a more intuitive feel. Its simple for people not used to forums to use.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/anyone-moved-from-vb-and-or-ipb.31042/#post-354520

note the link in post 7

Top Bottom