1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dissapointed by IPBoard... What were your reasons for xf?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by DominickV, May 20, 2014.

1. DominickV

DominickV New Member

To offer more and better support to our customers we created a customer support forum a while back based on ipboard, (why ipboard; it looked cleaner than vbulletin and xenforo) but we had a lot of trouble and support was pretty arrogant so we were luckily able to sell our license wrather quickly.

At that point we decided not to create a new forum but customers liked the forum part so we are reconsidering it and with that are reconsidering xenforo.

I was wondering, why did you (to the community) choose for xenforo compared to ipboard/vbulletin or burning boards. We are also considering Burning Boards.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  2. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

I prefer Xenforo to IPB because of the UI, less server load and because IMHO is more attractive for the end users!
  3. HenrikHansen

HenrikHansen Well-Known Member

I prefer Xenforo because of the community here. The community will never let you down if you have questions or problems.
    Liam W, Adam Howard, wedgar and 3 others like this.
  4. petertdavis

petertdavis Well-Known Member

I tried IPB during Xenforo's dark days and it turned out to be a big waste of time and thousands of dollars. I didn't like it, and more importantly my members didn't like it. Simple things that I can do in minutes with Xenforo I wasted months worth of time trying to do with IPB and eventually failed.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  5. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew New Member

I have owned pretty much everything from IPB to VB(seriously not sure wtf those folks are thinking these days).

I had to roll out a project with this stuff a few weeks ago and mind=blown. This stuff is tits. I am about to start customizing stuff. I frankly cant wait to get cracking.

I also installed a bunch of mods and widgety stuff. I spent literally about 4 minutes having to debug one quick issue. For a week straight I hammered on the stuff with literally zero problems. Its frankly unheard of.

6. Dinh Thanh

Dinh Thanh Well-Known Member

I refer Xenforo because I fall in love with Mike and Kier.
    JJJ and fEaRz like this.
  7. wedgar

wedgar Well-Known Member

Spot on! This is a super community and extremely helpful.
  8. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

I prefer Xenforo because it's cheaper. :D
  9. arr0w

arr0w Member

I chose xenForo because I loved its look and feel (and I saw no future for vB). It's been more than half a year since I converted my forum and I couldn't be happier; although for a support type forum I'd probably choose something else (other than the traditional forum software.)
    Adam Howard likes this.
  10. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

I have experienced much of what you have with IP.Board and as you noted, the support was very 'arrogant' (rude, slow, disrespectful, and hostile).

Also experienced this as well. IPB turned out to be a black hole when it came to expenses. Renewal cost every 6 months, support cost, resource cost, and it just kept adding and adding.

XenForo is very cost effective with renewal fee being only 1x each year (at only $40), support here is free directly from the developers via tickets, support from members on the forums DOES really exist and is friendly (also free), resource use is minimal, and best of all xenforo is stable, secure, and fast loading (faster than burning board as well).
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  11. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

Because vBulletin went down hill and @Mike and @Kier have the experience with forums to trust to keep what was good about vBulletin going.
    Adam Howard and wedgar like this.
  12. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

I had a very positive support experience with IPB when I implemented it in one of my forums, staff was very helpful and sorted out all of the problems I had moving from vbulletin, even encoding issues with my database.

The main reasons for me leaving it was the very limited add-ons that existed for that platform, the not so helpful community (not in terms of being rude or anything, it just wasn't easy to get a lot of responses/interaction in there), and finally the admin panel.
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    SneakyDave likes this.
  13. optrex

optrex Active Member

some of my early posts explain why I moved from IPB. I chose xenforo for integration and a more intuitive feel. Its simple for people not used to forums to use.

note the link in post 7