Disqus for quick reply comments...

JVCode

I've been interested in this for a while now and have just smashed some code up and I'm quite happy with the results, the only problem is that I'm not able to get alerts via xenforo when using disqus, I wonder if this could be done? I've removed the quick reply box and use disqus as my main quick reply comment system (a work in progress lol). If anyone has any idea's? post them up please. Here's a simple demo.

Capture.webp

The awesome thing about disqus is that you can basically be on 10 different sites at a time, and get updates to other sites you're active using disqus on, I'm sure that'll bring lots of members back to your forums. This is also good for using as a global comments system, as you can easily integrate it into wordpress and other cms systems.

Looks good. I think this would be a pretty useful feature. It would be nice too to be able to sync the disqus comments with Xenforo that way if you ever get rid of it you won't lose anything. Disqus is also good for a seamless experience if you are using Wordpress as your front CMS on the site. And Disqus can be used for real time commenting which adds another level of interactivity to the forums. They have a SSO single sign-on option so it should be pretty seamless when it's all hooked together.

Moved it to the "test" style now, so you'll need to change the style to that before you're able to view the disqus comments.

Eh, never liked disqus. It's not really appealing to go through the hassle in order to comment. Maybe useful for news sites, but otherwise, I doubt it would be used.

Eh, never liked disqus. It's not really appealing to go through the hassle in order to comment. Maybe useful for news sites, but otherwise, I doubt it would be used.

Wow really? In my opinion it's less hassle, you can literally be signed in on multiple sites and receive updates when you're not even on the site which has gotten an update and be notified about it, all while browsing/commenting on another site.

If I could get it integrated onto xenforo, I'd use it as the main comments system for sure.

Wow really? In my opinion it's less hassle, you can literally be signed in on multiple sites and receive updates when you're not even on the site which has gotten an update and be notified about it, all while browsing/commenting on another site.

If I could get it integrated onto xenforo, I'd use it as the main comments system for sure.
... But there's usually a reason why I'm not currently on that website, and getting constant updates from all the websites I'm on would pretty much stalk me for the rest of my life. :unsure:

I use disqus too on my news sites. And I'm annoyed by javascript issues, bugs and old notifications popping up as new for absolutely no reason. For example, you can delete your own posts but when you do that your posts aren't deleted, but pop up again with the "Guest" username.

I use disqus too on my news sites. And I'm annoyed by javascript issues, bugs and old notifications popping up as new for absolutely no reason. For example, you can delete your own posts but when you do that your posts aren't deleted, but pop up again with the "Guest" username.

Disqus was 'THE' plugin that created 99k+ 404 not found errors on our site because of some JS glitch. I ditched WordPress because of it and now happy with Xenforo all over our site.

I have to admit, I've seen it used in conjunction with other forums and my reaction has largely been "Why are you duplicating what's already there?" A forum is a place for discussion, and XenForo's is a strong example of how to do that. Replacing it or supplanting it with a third party system seems somewhat redundant.

For news sites, sure, it's an instant way to generate comments without having to cope with it in the core site - and it also handles, to a point, some of the liability and moderation - you get the sort of crowd-sourcing effect. But on a news site, you're not really trying to build a *community*, it's like a specific type of blog: you're pushing content and getting response to that content, as opposed to building a community of contributors and respondents.

I guess that would be great. But it should be still optional. Maybe as long as you're logged in you'll see the normal comment box, and if not you'll see the Disqus box?

Here's an example:

dr6w9hw.png

It would be also cool, if you could add it as a log in option like this:

e4YqO6j.png

why not just display the "quick reply editor" (the Editor at the bottm of each thread) to guests ?
So guests are able to reply to threads. Then Admin decides whether to approve the post or not.
Once Admin approves the post, the system sends an "invitation E-mail" to the "Guest E-mail" to join the Forum.

Not sure if something like that is already possible with XF or whether there are any Addons available doing this ?

:coffee:

why not just display the "quick reply editor" (the Editor at the bottm of each thread) to guests ?
So guests are able to reply to threads. Then Admin decides whether to approve the post or not.
Once Admin approves the post, the system sends an "invitation E-mail" to the "Guest E-mail" to join the Forum.

Not sure if something like that is already possible with XF or whether there are any Addons available doing this ?

Wow I like this idea. Another great way to get people to join. Hook them in. Reduce friction.

Well, I like the idea, but I don't know if there could be any law problems. I mean, they don't agree to get E-Mails from you. So it should be without leaving an E-Mail like by Disuqs I think. Or you would need to check an extra box like "Yes, I agree to get an invitation E-Mail" or so. (Yes, I know that it sounds stupid)

Top Bottom