1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Display the number of likes for each thread, on forumdisplay

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Floren, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

I think this feature is great.

Likes are an important part of the community values and users "like" to see popular threads, based on other user opinions. It will definitely help the admins to evaluate better the content of their forums.
    The feature will show how "likable" each thread is, when viewing the forumdisplay page.
    It should be also a choice for sorting the list of threads in a forum.

IMO, the best non-intrusive location for thread likes would be in the lower right corner of the popup that shows when you hover over the thread title. Users will have the choice to edit their templates and make it visible into thread row, if they really want to display the number of likes on a more visible way.

Just thinking out loud, you can actually define how "hot" is a thread, based on the total number of likes. Many nice possibilities with this feature.

Trombones13 and HydraulicJack like this.
  2. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Threads are already sortable by likes on the first post, and first post likes are displayed in a tooltip when mousing over the Replies/Views column. Did you mean a total number of likes for all posts in the thread?
    Floren and Trombones13 like this.
  3. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

I see, I did not know about that hover feature over the Replies text. Thanks for the tip. :)
    Personally, I would move it into the hover popup that shows the thread preview content.

However, after more thinking, is ideal to have only the first post accounted for the number of likes. The way data info is set now matches perfect needs for everyone. I will use that feature to make the thread row change color or display an icon next to the title, based how popular is the thread. For example, a thread with over 50likes will be showing as Hot.

Edit: I cannot edit the thread title, no perms. :)
    Can a mod change the title from "... total number of likes ..." to "... number of likes ..."? Thanks.
    I would like to keep this thread open, since the actual suggestion is:
    Display the number of likes into thread preview popup
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Edited :)
  5. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

this would only clutter the forum display.
  6. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Why would it clutter it? Nothing changes from current look.
  7. Trombones13

Trombones13 Well-Known Member

o_O How long has that been there?? Nice tip! :D
  8. Ati

Ati Active Member

How do you sort by the number of likes? [​IMG]
  9. Floren

Floren Well-Known Member

Thread Display Options, at the bottom of your forumdisplay page.
    Ati likes this.
  10. Trombones13

Trombones13 Well-Known Member

Click the "Thread Display Options" tab at the bottom of the list, then sort threads by "First message likes."

EDIT: drat
    Ati likes this.
  11. Ati

Ati Active Member

Got it, thanks. I was looking at the headers like crazy to find it... :)