Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion

ManagerJosh

Disney (DIS) is buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion, adding the legendary Star Wars franchise to the entertainment giant's stable of characters. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Founder George Lucas.

The buyout ranks among one of the largest ever made by Disney. It's fourth behind the $19.7 billion, $7.6 billion and $5.2 billion buyouts of Capital Cities/ABC in 1995, Pixar in 2006 and Fox Family in 2001, respectively, says S&P Capital IQ. It tops the $3.96 billion Disney paid for Marvel in August 2009.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/10/30/disney-star-wars-lucasfilm/1669739/

more info to include stating that Episode 7 will be out in 2015.

Walt Disney this afternoon announced a deal to buy Lucasfilm from Star Wars director and film pioneer George Lucas for $4.05 billion in cash and stock.

Under terms of the deal, Lucas will be paid half in cash and half in the form of about 40 million Disney shares.

“Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas,” Disney CEO Robert Iger said in a statement. “This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney’s unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value.”

Lucas said in a statement that it is “now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.”

“I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime,” Lucas said. “I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”

The deal includes not only Star Wars but also other businesses operated by Lucasfilm, including LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound. Disney said the current plan is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Kathleen Kennedy, now co-chairman of Lucasfilm, becomes president of the company, reporting to Disney Chairman Alan Horn. She’s also act brand manager for Star Wars. The announcement said she will serve as executive producer on new fils in the franchise, with Lucas as creative consultant. The announcement notes that Star Wars Episode 7 is scheduled for release in 2015, with more films expected to follow.

Update: Speaking on CNBC, Robert Iger said the deal will be slightly dilutive for the first two years after the close, and then accretive after that.

more info to include stating that Episode 7 will be out in 2015.

jar-jar-binks.webp

2 billion in cash. I mean... just... wow... just try to imagine that... you go to bed one night, and wake up the next morning with 2 billion in your bank...

I sense a worried feeling in the force. Worried that Disney is going to jack this thing to hell! I'd love to see Star Wars continued, especially for my generation (when I saw Star Wars it was already several decades old).

*is shocked and slightly saddened by this news, only to be happily distracted by the news of Kim Kardashian's SECOND flick. Christmas come early?

This means Disney now controls Marvel, Pixar (which was originally a LucasFilm subsidiary), ABC, ESPN, LucasArts, A+E, Disney Channel, along with their merchandising. For those screaming Disney will ruin Star Wars, I actually see this as a good portfolio acquisition for Disney, as well as a good cultural match. They understand the value of brands better than any other entertainment company.

Most of these type of companies are conglomerates of entertainment subsidiaries anyway -- Sony (Sony Pictures, Columbia Pictures, Columbia Records, Epic Records, RCA Records, TriStar, Screen Gems, Stage 6, etc.), Viacom (Paramount, Nickelodeon, MTV), Time Warner, NBCUniversal / Comcast. Though, Disney has seen a steady increase in revenue over the last few years.

And to think, people called me an idiot years ago when I said "ewoks on ice" would put asses on seats. What could be more magical.

Wow... speechless.

I for one am more optimistic than negative. We have all wished for years that there was a story after Luke's defeat of the emperor. I hope Disney respects the responsibility it now has to millions of fans worldwide and delivers quality. Fingers crossed!

Movie 7,8, and 9

They plan to have another trilogy. Lucas will be hands on for all three, but you figure Disney now has the final word.

Great!

Basically Lucas planned Star Wars in three trilogies, and he ever told, that he never will do the last three.

So, Disney will so this. That is really good to hear. They have enough brain to make good Films.

I don't know why all the hate. Disney has been working with George Lucas for over 20 years with regards to the Star Wars franchise. I think they get it...

This will be great. Maybe even a reboot.
I am all for rebooting the entire series.

It worked for Star Trek and would work for Star Wars.

This will be great. Maybe even a reboot.
I am all for rebooting the entire series.

It worked for Star Trek and would work for Star Wars.

They already stated there will be an Episode 7, 8 and 9. That implies continuation not reboot.

They already stated there will be an Episode 7, 8 and 9. That implies continuation not reboot.
I know & I am looking forward to it.
The question is: will episode 7 include the original actors?
Lucas originally wanted them to return 30 or so years later to reprise their roles.

Top Bottom