Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion

We've got the full video and press release up on our site. My thoughts - this could be either AWESOME or TERRIBLE - not in between.

Disney obviously will want to make a return, and I can tell you now that they WILL make heavy use of the Star Wars franchise in their theme parks, with a possibility of an entire Star Wars land already on the table for Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Florida.

They will want this to work, and given that along with their acquisition they get the entire Industrial Light and Magic and Skywakersound companies, and the staff that go with that, you can bet that a LOT of thought and effort will be put into VII.

Also, we already know that scripts for 7, 8, 9 and beyond exists! Lucas was working on them with other members of Lucasfilm for some time, but didnt want to work on the films yet. If we look back at Lucas's words from the 70's he was quoted as asking Mark Hamill to sign up for Ep 1, 2 and 3 to be made "around the late 90s" and 7, 8 and 9 to be made "About 2014". It was always on the table that there would be three trilogies. Obviously none of the original cast can really be used now, however that doesn't stop there being a chance of an excellent reboot here.

One such iteration I can think of - Episode 7 - The Sith Returns. When Vader threw Sidious down the ventelation shaft before saving Luke, how do we know he died? He could have survived, and went away to train a new apprentice.

(Ok, that's a long shot :p)

Disney obviously will want to make a return, and I can tell you now that they WILL make heavy use of the Star Wars franchise in their theme parks, with a possibility of an entire Star Wars land already on the table for Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Florida.
Honestly, I'd be surprised if they actually did. They've had access to creating something in their theme parks but never have taken full advantage of it aside from Star Wars Weekends and Star Tours. Judging from how fast they like to move with projects, even if they decided to make something we probably won't see it until 2020 or something... and that's already on top of the major updates Disney just invested in California and announced they're cutting back on that kind of spending now.

Not saying it's impossible, but the track record isn't too telling (WDW being the worst offender).

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they actually did. They've had access to creating something in their theme parks but never have taken full advantage of it aside from Star Wars Weekends and Star Tours. Judging from how fast they like to move with projects, even if they decided to make something we probably won't see it until 2020 or something... and that's already on top of the major updates Disney just invested in California and announced they're cutting back on that kind of spending now.

Not saying it's impossible, but the track record isn't too telling (WDW being the worst offender).
There's a difference now though - they own the IP. Previously they had to pay a hefty licensing fee for anything Starwars related, to the point that they had a daily fee on Star Tours. It wasnt financially viable to really do anything else. Plus the franchise was fading away.

Given that the films are being rebooted, it makes perfect sense to tie that in with new attractions. They need something to beat potter over at Universal, and DHWS is in dire need of some new attractions.

When Disney gets hold of something expensive, they do generally do very well with it. Look at the Marvel stuff - they really have made some great movies - they have released 7 since they bought them out, and have another 9 that'll be out between 2013 and 2015. All so far have been very well received.

There is a misconception about Disney from their days under the Michael Eisner days. Whilst they are still a typical money hungry American corporation, Bob Iger has been a much more sensible leader, and knows that to make a return on an investment, you have to make your viewers, visitors and customers happy. Clearly with the Marvel stuff they have done that, and given that they have already announced that Star Wars will be coming to the theme parks and resorts, you can bet they will be doing some form of attraction addition, be it a whole land or a bunch of new rides.

luke.i.am.your.employer.webp

:)

There's a difference now though - they own the IP. Previously they had to pay a hefty licensing fee for anything Starwars related, to the point that they had a daily fee on Star Tours. It wasnt financially viable to really do anything else. Plus the franchise was fading away.

Given that the films are being rebooted, it makes perfect sense to tie that in with new attractions. They need something to beat potter over at Universal, and DHWS is in dire need of some new attractions.

When Disney gets hold of something expensive, they do generally do very well with it. Look at the Marvel stuff - they really have made some great movies - they have released 7 since they bought them out, and have another 9 that'll be out between 2013 and 2015. All so far have been very well received.

There is a misconception about Disney from their days under the Michael Eisner days. Whilst they are still a typical money hungry American corporation, Bob Iger has been a much more sensible leader, and knows that to make a return on an investment, you have to make your viewers, visitors and customers happy. Clearly with the Marvel stuff they have done that, and given that they have already announced that Star Wars will be coming to the theme parks and resorts, you can bet they will be doing some form of attraction addition, be it a whole land or a bunch of new rides.
I'm aware Disney can do cool things. I was mainly directing my lack of excitement for anything going on at WDW specifically, as the management there isn't the best run.

In the long-term, outside of Orlando, I imagine there would be a few exciting developments both in movies and theme parks. That I'm sure of at least. :)

This source so far says it's an original story, not an actual continuation.

That isn't really a source. More like a fan opinion. However from a story point of view it would be extremely stupid to not have continuation, even if it is something like 30 years after Return of Jedi. At this point I guess no one really knows, and it wouldn't until another two years that we know for sure...

One can only wait and see but I am certain Disney knows that if they fail in the next movie they can kiss one of the biggest fan followings goodbye.

I guess we can expect a Star Wars attraction at their park now? Maybe they will build a whole section like they did with Harry Potter?

I'll wait and see but I agree with RickM you either hate it or love it there is nothing in between.

Eh, I disagree with the either hate it or love it sentiment. It completely glosses over the fact these two companies have been working closely with each other for 20+ years. As someone else mentioned in this thread, Disney gets Stars Wars perhaps better than any other potential suitor. Not to mention, a lot of its divisions operate fairly independent.

Pixar and Disney, creatively, have been killing it in comparison to what's come out of Lucasfilm lately. Interesting though, that John Lasseter now has control over all of the assets that allowed him to start making movies in the first place.

Disney is a merchandising company at heart, as is Lucasfilm. These two companies are a good fit, culturally.

You know Disney are capable of making cartoon free movies right? ;) For example, The Avengers was made by Marvel and distributed by Disney. Marvel who I believe are owned by Disney.

Top Bottom