Discord does forums

Like Facebook and Reddit, Discord is basically a clubs system. Members can spin up their own community with a few clicks. Which makes it so appealing.

We're not ouf the woods yet !
When it can provide the following, I may show some interest.

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 11.21.32 PM.png

When it can provide the following, I may show some interest.

View attachment 273457
You mean a highly fragmented website where each content type is basically a separate mini website for the member to discover? And which setup does not work for the mobile user, which makes up most of our audience?

But aside from that I do fully agreee with you. You are right. The functionality in those addons are awesome. Its just that once you start adding content types to xenforo it becomes silo-ed. And contemperary internet users are often not capable to deal with such complex user experience and content discovery.

Its just that once you start adding content types to xenforo it becomes silo-ed
That's one of my main complaints... there is stuff that can go into multiple areas....
The problem with the opposite is you have a crap-ton of stuff in an area to try to filter through.... so you have to have some thought as to how/what you want each to service.

As someone who owns a rather large Discord community, I can tell you that Discords version of forums isn't close to being comparable to actual forums.

1. Content is still not discoverable on the web or indexable by google, users still need to join a community inside of Discord and then navigate to the forum.

2. Discord has a 1,000 post (thread) limit per community. Only 1,000 threads can be active at one time.

3. After 7 days of inactivity threads aren't really discoverable anywhere within the community

4. You cannot have a locked thread for things like rules or FAQ's. A thread is either active and open to replies or hidden and archived.

5. Nobody on Discord really knows what a forum is, I've seen people refer to them as "forms" and "like twitter"

iRsSKVH.png
5TaS8gz.png

tl;dr Discord forums are extremely primitive and are by no means a replacement for traditional forums we all know and love.

This is why the forum concept needs a new name! Forum is the past. Besides XF calls it a community platform. I personally renamed my forum to a discussion area.

I don't think Discord is going to steal any more members from forums. If anything, they might help people rediscover the joy of the forum medium, and revitalize it.

Those are the content rules for Discord (Reddits are similar); servers and sub-reddits have their own rules that are subject to the whim of the moderation team or server owner. The actual content rules are actually no different than any other platforms rules, and most of them are actual legal requirements 🤷‍♂️.

It is actually very rare that servers get shut down unless they are blatantly breaking rules, or if Discord gets threatened with legal complaints.

Those are the content rules for Discord (Reddits are similar); servers and sub-reddits have their own rules that are subject to the whim of the moderation team or server owner. The actual content rules are actually no different than any other platforms rules, and most of them are actual legal requirements 🤷‍♂️.

It is actually very rare that servers get shut down unless they are blatantly breaking rules, or if Discord gets threatened with legal complaints.
Discord has a strict thing on it that it runs by. So it's overmoderated and doesn't like people that swear and the likes.

Discord has a strict thing on it that it runs by. So it's overmoderated and doesn't like people that swear and the likes.
The only place where you are recommended to not use swearing is name of your server, description or channel name/descriptions... And doing so only exempts you from partnership programs, nothing else.

Discord really is not that strict, and unless you're breaking the guidelines (and they do not always enforce those) there is almost no moderation platform-wide. Now individual servers are however those servers are set up...? But that is not Discord, that is the same as you going to a forum and breaking a rule on the forum.

The only place where you are recommended to not use swearing is name of your server, description or channel name/descriptions... And doing so only exempts you from partnership programs, nothing else.

Discord really is not that strict, and unless you're breaking the guidelines (and they do not always enforce those) there is almost no moderation platform-wide. Now individual servers are however those servers are set up...? But that is not Discord, that is the same as you going to a forum and breaking a rule on the forum.
It kicks people off mate. Bigfooty.com use it as theirs and have had members including myself get kicked off unexpectedly. So no thanks.

Top Bottom