1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Disadvantage of my website ending with "index.php" !!

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by James Jimmy, Mar 21, 2015.

1. James Jimmy

James Jimmy Member

Hello,

I am running this website www.forumhuru.com ,and recently I came across an information stating that websites ending with "index.php" i.e www.forumhuru.com/index.php is really bad for SEO and Google assumes domain.com/ and domain.com/index.php are 2 different pages.

Due to the reason above,I am thinking of changing it by discarding the index.php part of the website name.

I would appreciate the necessary procedures to change it.

Thank you !!

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Enable Friendly URLs in the ACP.

upload_2015-3-21_11-0-16.png

James Jimmy likes this.
  3. James Jimmy

James Jimmy Member

Thank you @Brogan ,however is there any disadvantage of me doing this,that I should take into notice ??

4. Brogan

I'm not aware of any disadvantage.

Most sites seem to remove it.

5. James Jimmy

James Jimmy Member

6. James Jimmy

James Jimmy Member

Hey @Brogan ,once I sign out after I made the change it says*

"
    404 Error File Not Found
    The page you are looking for might have been removed,
    had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

"

How can I solve this ??

7. Brogan

That is either due to the .htaccess file missing (assuming you are using Apache) or the server not being configured correctly.

Check the .htaccess file is there and contains the correct content.
    The default should look like this: https://xenforo.com/community/htaccess.txt

If it's fine, contact your host and ask them to configure the server as per this page: https://xenforo.com/help/friendly-urls/

In the meantime, you can navigate directly to the ACP and disable Friendly URLs again to restore the site.

8. James Jimmy

James Jimmy Member

Okay,could you help me on how to locate the .htaccess file so as I could check it ?? @Brogan

9. Brogan

It's a hidden file in the directory where XenForo is installed.

You would need to use an FTP application or cPanel File Manager to access it.

10. James Jimmy

James Jimmy Member

Ey @Brogan ,it appears the .htaccess file was missing some of the contents.Managed to solve the problem though :) .

Thank you for help :) #Much appreciate