1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disabling ssh keys

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Crazyfruitbat, May 5, 2011.

1. Crazyfruitbat

Crazyfruitbat Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I'm asking this here as I tend to get very little answers over at lindode.

Earlier this week I was trying to set up SSH keys on my server and the damn thing crashed (PC) as I was doing it - now I can't gain access through SSH anywhere except though Lish (Linode's SSH system).

I was fallowing this tutorial: http://library.linode.com/security/ssh-keys

Does anyone know how I can disable/delete the SSH keys so that I can at least use my SFTP? Without it I'm royally stuffed.

I'd appreicate any help.
    Cheers
    Chris

2. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

SSH keys are generally installed under your home directory in a folder named ".ssh". Inside there you will find your public/private keys.

If the keys were generated under the root account they will be in /root/.ssh

3. Crazyfruitbat

Thanks Deebs, is it safe to just delete it? Or is that going to give me more headaches?

4. ragtek

ragtek Guest

A own server will always give you headache if you don't know what you're doing and just do what the tutorials/how to's say...

my 0.02$

5. Crazyfruitbat

Yeah I know mate - I found that out the hard way - I was hoping to learn as went along but when things don't work you have no-one to call on for help, so you don't end up learning anything. I wish I hadn't used linode now. Lots of people here recommended it here so I thought it was worth the risk - but I may just choose a different provider next year as I don't want the headaches.

6. Deebs

Deebs Well-Known Member

You should be able to safely remove the keys. Alternatively just rename the files.