Not planned Disable the AJAX loading .gif for most default actions

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
The animated .gif loads for almost all AJAX actions even those that are usually nearly instant such as liking a post or launching an overlay.

My suggestion is to either disable that completely for some smaller actions or add some code that only shows the loading gif after X seconds have passed.

Upvote 7
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Do you mean this thing ?

upload_2013-10-25_10-13-8.webp

like when I tried to watch this thread.

(Took me 5 times to screencapture it).

On my slow Xenforo site ... I see that AJAX loading thing alot.
Here ... only for a brief second.

Personally, I think a delayed loading image is bad UI.
I don't necessarily disagree with this.

My preference would be for the image not to show up at all on most AJAX actions unless it is something expected to take a long time, such as validating and submitting a form or indeed something as intensive as a cache rebuild.

The animation seems superfluous on actions that take a very small amount of time to complete anyway.

I like it appearing even on things such as a like. If it's a site that loads slow, that may take a second. Having a link that doesn't immediately do anything would make me think the site is dysfunctional. I realize that without that appearing, when I click like and it's done loading it changes to 'unlike' and shows a new div (the likes summary) but still, on a delay it could seem like it's broken.

That said, it is pretty easy to disable, I think it's just a matter of including global: false in the arguments for the ajax request.

The animation seems superfluous on actions that take a very small amount of time to complete anyway.

Unfortunately the time it takes to complete isn't a constant. Even very quick sites sometimes will be slow to do an action if something else is hogging the cpu.

I personally like it showing up, even if for a split second. It makes it completely obvious that "Hey, this page is doing something via Ajax". It might just be me and the fact that 90% of the time when I'm on here I'm downloading something, so my Internet is slow and warnts the image being displayed.

Don't remove it.

I complained to @digitalpoint for having it at the bottom of the page on his site...

He then said he was planning to remove it and I said no.

It is useful for people with slow internet connections - it may be quick for you, but maybe not for other's. Liking a post may take a few seconds for some people!

As well as that, seeing it tells people something is waiting to happen - if they click a button and nothing appears/happens, they may think it is broken.

Liam

It is useful for people with slow internet connections - it may be quick for you, but maybe not for other's. Liking a post may take a few seconds for some people!

As well as that, seeing it tells people something is waiting to happen - if they click a button and nothing appears/happens, they may think it is broken.
Exactly my point. I'm not fortunate enough to have Fios, and my Internet is usually always tied up in updates - which means pages take about 2-6 seconds to load, the Ajax indicator lets me know my request is still processing.

Not to mention the amount of people who do still have dialup or satellite Internet.

Top Bottom