directNIC Parking Domains

sleaver

Has anyone, possibly just people in the UK, heard of these people or know what they get up to?

http://www.directnic.com/

When I registered my domain name I didn't get the .com version because GoDaddy wanted something like $60 for it. A while later I thought I better get it but the bunch above had taken it and just parked it. Ive had a search on Google and can't find much but it seems they are known for this.

So, apart from saying I should have got it from the start, has anyone else heard the same or if there is a way of getting the .com version?

On a related note is there a way of checking if domain names are available without the risk of someone else nabbing it?

They are legit :D

list.webp

why is vb suing xf?

people find an excuse to sue for anything.
They do have a bad history of cyber squatting, as well as having re-newed domains of their customers, then offered to sell them back at a premium (Namecheap has done this as well).

There is nothing wrong with it in my opinion...you pay for your domain, if it expires it is not yours...end of story.

However this brings up a few interesting points in my opinion.

In a case such as verizon I would have to assume this company tried to buy a domain name that has reference to something verizon has made a "brand recognition" value of and being the size that they are and for the time they have existed as a company...I'm sure the purchaser of the domain names in question was aware of that. I don't usually side with the big names but if this were the case I would have no choice. Not saying they can't buy the domain and hold it...that is their business but doing so with the intent of middle-manning a sale that was already planned by a legit company or organization that can use it is just bad business in my opinion again.

Renewing a customers domain to resell it to them because they did not have auto renewal or another safeguard is just downright dirty and I would never do business with anyone who does that and I will end that there before I offend someone who uses that company. I am sorry but I fight for my fellow consumers and stand against that I believe to be wrong. This disgusts me. All in all...if a domain has nothing to do with your project you should leave it alone...make money doing something...reselling domains as a business does not help anyone but yourself.

In my opinion this whole thing is like a protection racket...RICO predicates anyone? I seem to be reminded of other prominent current cases in which some company with venture capital is taking out their inability to deliver a quality product themselves on a company with a small surface that has quality volume hoping that the legal infrastructure that defines modern business activity can legally fold a company.

</end rant>

Has anyone, possibly just people in the UK, heard of these people or know what they get up to?

http://www.directnic.com/

When I registered my domain name I didn't get the .com version because GoDaddy wanted something like $60 for it. A while later I thought I better get it but the bunch above had taken it and just parked it. Ive had a search on Google and can't find much but it seems they are known for this.

So, apart from saying I should have got it from the start, has anyone else heard the same or if there is a way of getting the .com version?
You can bid on it...send an offer via proxy and other things along the lines ...the longer you wait and the more value your domain can get which would drive the price of the corresponding domain extensions way up...if you can make more money so can they.
On a related note is there a way of checking if domain names are available without the risk of someone else nabbing it?

Generally speaking ..none that I can think of...the general rule of thumb I have is I do not search anywhere until I am prepared to buy the .com .net (.org .us .tv .info .me ,if they apply in a given situation for a specific project) as for the problem you have stated. It always seems any domain I search and don't buy within 12-24 hours get's bought and has a splash page from the registrar who sold it to them.

It always seems any domain I search and don't buy within 12-24 hours get's bought and has a splash page from the registrar who sold it to them.
That is what I think directNIC do!

I kow this is old but have a look at http://www.bobparsons.me/117/35-mil...kiting-scheme-serious-problem-gets-worse.html

Meet DirectNIC.
You might find the registration statistics of DirectNIC somewhat interesting. DirectNIC registered more than 8.4 million domain names in April 2006, but only permanently registered -- or paid for -- 51.4 thousand of those. The trend was the same in March, when DirectNIC registered 7.6 million names and only permanently registered -- or paid for -- 52.5 thousand. Whatever could DirectNIC be doing? Why are they dropping and re-registering all those names - again - and again - and again? And why doesn't ICANN care?

Why would they need to register 8.4 million but only 51.4 thousand permantly. Roughly 188 registrations per minute!

I should have brough the domain at the time and there's nothing I can do about that but why would directNIC feel the need to buy it off GoDaddy and just stick a parking page ion it days after I looked at it!

Just another link I found - http://blog.johnjosephbachir.org/2007/07/01/directnic-is-sleezy/

Top Bottom