Digitalpoint CSS Disappeared

Posting on the site in question or using the contact form would be a more appropriate thing to do.

Seems I've fell into his "not the perfect user mitigation system" perhaps.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Not particularly wishing to help fix the issue, if it is one, I was merely wondering whether it was just my system or perhaps a cache issue my end.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 18.06.31.webp
    Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 18.06.31.webp
    47.2 KB · Views: 41
Someone else reported it... and from testing with them, it seemed to be an issue with their ISP (Virgin Media UK). My best guess is that they have a caching system in place on their network that is mucked. That user was able to toggle between Virgin Media and another ISP and it was only an issue when on Virgin Media, and the underlying HTTP requests were never actually getting to our server.

If it helps, I'm on Virgin Media and DP loads perfectly fine. I don't however use their internal DNS as it's crap. I always just stick Googles 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 nameservers in my router config.

I had this myself, on my mobile internet (I tether normally).

It fixed itself the next time I visited though...

I'm on Three.

Super fun trying to debug something that you can't see yourself. hah
To make it a bit more interesting: I have the same issue, but only on FireFox, Chrome an IE are fine. So that does seem to point to a cache issue (as I only occasionally visit your site and only on FireFox), although I've never had the issue before. However, I'm not using Virgin Media, I'm not even in the UK at all. Also, I've never had any issues on any other websites.

I think I finally sorted out what the issue was for some users. If anyone is still seeing it happen, please let me know.

It had to do with CloudFlare's security settings inadvertently set way too high on the domain I use for static content (dpstatic.com), meaning a user could get to digitalpoint.com, but when they tried to access content from dpstatic.com, the system was presenting them with a captcha to solve. Which of course doesn't work really well when the content being accessed is something embedded like CSS, JavaScript, images, etc. (which is all that domain is for). The net result being the user never sees the captcha to solve and they also don't get the content (like the CSS file).

That also explains why it was happening to some users, but not others. Basically just happening to users that CloudFlare thinks are possibly "bad actors" based on IP, HTTP headers or whatever else.

I think I finally sorted out what the issue was for some users. If anyone is still seeing it happen, please let me know.

It had to do with CloudFlare's security settings inadvertently set way too high on the domain I use for static content (dpstatic.com), meaning a user could get to digitalpoint.com, but when they tried to access content from dpstatic.com, the system was presenting them with a captcha to solve. Which of course doesn't work really well when the content being accessed is something embedded like CSS, JavaScript, images, etc. (which is all that domain is for). The net result being the user never sees the captcha to solve and they also don't get the content (like the CSS file).

That also explains why it was happening to some users, but not others. Basically just happening to users that CloudFlare thinks are possibly "bad actors" based on IP, HTTP headers or whatever else.
Seems solved for me.

That said, it's interesting that cloudflare has issues with one browser but not the other (using the same IP etc.).

Top Bottom