Digital Point Push Notifications

Digital Point Push Notifications [Paid] 1.0.0

No permission to buy ($100.00)

digitalpoint

digitalpoint submitted a new resource:

Digital Point Push Notifications - Send push notices to users via Apple's Push Notification Service.

This addon will turn XenForo notices into push notifications and send them to user's Mac OS X 10.9+ computers/Notification Center without them needing be on your site or even have a browser open. It will send XenForo's Conversation notices (the notices you normally get in the Inbox pop-up menu in the navigation) as well as XenForo Alerts (things that show up under the Alerts pop-up menu).

It will send push notifications for non-standard alerts as well (alerts generated by 3rd...

Read more about this resource...

1. Does this still need SSL?

2. Does this still need an Apple Developer Account?

1. Yes... Apple requires HTTPS for the endpoints it uses on your site (your whole site doesn't need to be SSL, although not sure why a site wouldn't want it to be if they had a valid/working SSL certificate for it). You can get a free one valid for 1 year from here: https://www.startssl.com/

2. Yes it does. Or you could probably have someone you know with a valid developer account generate your certificate for you (needs to be redone from the same developer account every 12 months since the certificates are valid for 12 months).

1. Yes... Apple requires HTTPS for the endpoints it uses on your site (your whole site doesn't need to be SSL, although not sure why a site wouldn't want it to be if they had a valid/working SSL certificate for it). You can get a free one valid for 1 year from here: https://www.startssl.com/

2. Yes it does. Or you could probably have someone you know with a valid developer account generate your certificate for you (needs to be redone from the same developer account every 12 months since the certificates are valid for 12 months).
Only the webmaster needs the developer account right? So it's $99 on top of $75? and about the SSL (which I have but won't be using site-wide) all I need to do is just install SSL on my server for my domain and that's it?

Correct... you would need the developer account to generate the Website Push ID certificate (valid for 1 year), which you generate the public/private keys from. More or less the $99 is a recurring fee because you have to regenerate the certificate every 12 months.

As far as the SSL, yes... your base forum doesn't need to be set up as HTTPS, but it would need to respond to HTTPS if a request is made.

With a developer account, to generate the SSL info needed, can all this be done with Windows too or does it require a Mac?

If I used this on 2 sites, would I need to purchase 2 copies from you?

Do you plan to offer a Droid version?

If Apple would open this technology to iPhones/iPads and such, that would kill many apps - especially apps that websites have built, in order to do just that. I don't think it would happen anytime soon (although I wish it would. This is just genius).

With a developer account, to generate the SSL info needed, can all this be done with Windows too or does it require a Mac?
I think it's technically possible... it's more about generating the .p12 file (which includes private key) for the certificate you get from the developer account, and the Mac more or less does it for you via their Keychain Access app.

If you can get a valid .p12 file generated from the Apple developer certificate (.der format I believe), you wouldn't need the Mac. I'm sure it can be done, but *I* don't know how to do it. I haven't had access to a Windows machine in about 15 years, so no clue myself.

There's some articles about it if you Google "generate push certificate without Mac". For example: http://www.make-awesome.com/2010/12/apple-push-notification-certificates-without-the-mac-keychain/

If I used this on 2 sites, would I need to purchase 2 copies from you?
No, the license is for all the sites you own.

Do you plan to offer a Droid version?
If android starts allowing push notifications from websites (rather than just apps), it would be a possibility, but right now it's an Apple-exclusive technology.

If Apple would open this technology to iPhones/iPads and such, that would kill many apps - especially apps that websites have built, in order to do just that. I don't think it would happen anytime soon (although I wish it would. This is just genius).
Apple would rather kill apps that are just push receivers. It devalues their App Store having apps that aren't really that functional. I suspect we'll see them open it up to iOS at some point... maybe have to wait until iOS8 or something, but I'd put odds on it happening at some point (I didn't spend all the time on this really for OS X users... I'm assuming it will be opened up later...)

Freakin awesome! Buying this shortly for sure, hope someday it would work also with Firefox & Chrome too.

Thanks man for offering this

Freakin awesome! Buying this shortly for sure, hope someday it would work also with Firefox & Chrome too.

Thanks man for offering this
Not working with Chrome/Firefox isn't a huge deal. You only need Safari to request the permissions. I never have Safari open after that.

But yeah... Already have some enhancements planned like an option to show a notice to users about it if they are on the right OS, but wrong browser (since they just need to fire up Safari the one time).

This is not even close. The current add-on gives you the ability to receive notifications on your desktop without having any browser open.

Correct. If you are on a mac and use Safari at least once.
If you use Chrome (any OS) and visit Xenforo sites the extension may be for you. ;-)

However, I like this add-on very much. Once it works at iOS, I'll buy it 4 sure.

Top Bottom