Digital Disarray

Dubbed Navigator

Hi

So my forum, Digital Disarray has been live now for about 6 months.

We cater for a large variation of interests, our aim is to constantly expand this. If a user or selection of users come onboard, have an interest in something and can support it with some initial content we will cater for it.

I did intially launch the website on a different platform but it folded as I couldnt get the staff base to help support it.

Now we have relaunched on XF and the site looks and feels a million times better

Id like the views, opinions and constructive critisism of the people on here please. Take the time to have a proper wander around the site as there is a lot there :-)

We are on the constant lookout for staff as well, as we have taken a beating in this area recently. If you think you may be interested, please send me a PM

New features could be a subforum in Forum Announcements & Coming Soon
Introduce Yourself
could be a subforum in General Disarray

Not going to check them all, but these exemples could give you a little idea :)
Hope it help!

Nice site - my first comment would be there's nothing to tell me when I land, what the site is actually about? Or a handy "About us" link? Apart from that it's quick, clear and works well :)

Nice site - my first comment would be there's nothing to tell me when I land, what the site is actually about? Or a handy "About us" link? Apart from that it's quick, clear and works well :)

Thats interesting as I had set up a notice for guest users to do exactly that!

Look at that again me thinks

How are you marketing this (if you are)?

Niche sites (gaming, role play, sports, cars, etc.) all have outlets for advertising. A site that "does it all" might have a time tough getting members to stick. "Have it all" sites now days are social networking sites such as facebook. The difference is about 1.3 billion members.

Do you have a social media outlet to help draw in members?

Is there any topsites that you could advertise a "general" category on?

Here's your home and forum home from my browser... a notice for guests would indeed work well to introduce your site.

Idea taken onboard and I will get something cooked up for the sake of guests :)

How are you marketing this (if you are)?

Niche sites (gaming, role play, sports, cars, etc.) all have outlets for advertising. A site that "does it all" might have a time tough getting members to stick. "Have it all" sites now days are social networking sites such as facebook. The difference is about 1.3 billion members.

Do you have a social media outlet to help draw in members?

Is there any topsites that you could advertise a "general" category on?

Thats the difficult part, I have tested a few angles for advertising and they do produce results - its the funding thats the issue

First of all, a facebook page was introduced with posts being "boosted" - this produced some additional likes but I also found that converting these to new users was relatively fruitless

A twitter account, and google + page have also been setup and do sometimes get used

A facebook group is also in use, however I have always had a bugbear with this as you always end up with more content on there than you do the forum - keeping it as a "window" is always hard.

Its all well and good having these channels, but managing them all as well as the forum is tricky. Keeping staff has proved disappointing and it just doesnt work with 1 or 2 people doing it all.

Ive always said the principle of the DigitalDisarray is great, getting out there was always going to be the hard part!

How do you mean "topsites"?

Almost, but no cigar ;) The problem now is the cookie message is very padded out because it's the same size frame as the welcome message, but has nearly no text in, that's a massive amount of empty space on the all important landing page. Also, the text formatting of the welcome message doesn't look too hot:

Screen Shot 2014-08-03 at 10.52.34.webp

Screen Shot 2014-08-03 at 10.52.43.webp

Could you combine the cookie and welcome message (why not?) to avoid this issue, also I would use a slightly smaller font. You maybe don't need "Welcome Guest" as a guest already knows they are a guest and I'd keep it simple, with a call to action. Something like:

"Digital Disarray caters for a wide range of interests. Our ever-expanding list includes photography and urban exploration, outdoor activities, astronomy, IT and telecoms, gaming, automotive, music, local bands, television and film. We are a community that supports friendly reviews, advice and gives people an opportunity to show off their work. Join us today, it's free!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of these. Learn More."

I like the idea and did orginally think of something along those lines - however I couldnt see where to edit the cookies notice?

Do you know how I can? I completely agree with what you have said.

To me, the purpose of the forum is too nebulous. The title alone is confusing.

I actually take that as somewhat a compliment. Considering we have built the forum not to be specific to one hobby or interest, unless that isn't what you meant?

Each to their own I guess, but we thought it was quite catchy :-)

@Ingenious - do you know how I can edit the cookie message?

I'm actually still on 1.1 which doesn't have it. From memory it's an option so you can disable it, then replace the whole thing with a notice and your own cookie message within that, OR, edit the cookie phrase itself, a quick search here brings up for example:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/cookie-phrase.33953/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/change-learn-more-on-the-cookie-notice.73795/#post-763367

Top Bottom