Digital Cameras: Your input please!

Does anyone besides professional photographers still use cameras that aren't also phones?

I'm not gonna lie... iPhone 5 takes fairly amazing photos, as well as full 1080p video. Fairly certain I'll never use my nice 1080p Sony camcorder ever again. Just so much more convienient to not have to take it with you.

I have a point and click camera, but since my daughter was born I have only taken shots on my iPhone 4S.

I've had several printed and the quality is excellent.

I use my iPhone 4s a lot for photos, but I also have a Canon DSLR and a Canon compact camera, along with a 'waterproof' camera and one of those wrist mounted action cameras. The last two were gifts and get occasional use. The compact camera is great for most things, but the DSLR takes outstanding photos even with my general lack of skill. I still bring out the DSLR when the photos really matter or when the target is moving.

As you can probably tell I'm also a Canon fan, you can't go wrong with Canon in my opinion, I've had a number of their compact cameras over the last decade and they only get better and better. If you do choose a Canon compact I doubt you'll be dissapointed.

Does anyone besides professional photographers still use cameras that aren't also phones?
I might be sinking into 'old skool', but I still carry and use a DSLR (Nikon D800) with various lenses, tripod and accessories.
Why? Well, I enjoy landscape photography and this type of set up allows me to control and capture at a higher level than I could with my iPhone 5 (e.g. 36 mp vs. 8 mp, ease of attaching graduated neutral density filters, etc.).
Oh, and I'm a hobbyist, not a professional photographer. :)

I should qualify this by saying I've only had my iPhone 5 for a week now and have not yet explored its photographic capabilities. Others more qualified than I seem to enjoy using it even for professional work, so well see I guess...

Been trying to find a camera of my own, but seems my desired specs are not all in a single camera
  • 16 MP or better
  • Underwater
  • Night vision
  • full 1080 HD video
  • High resolution zoom (24x or better)
  • Fast shutter speed (to capture moving objects)

Top Bottom