did you cancel your FB account?

Urgg.. I HATE facebook with every fiber of my being. The whole concept is friggen wierd. I mean who cares if you're at the movies???? I do like keeping up with some NPOs and bands I like but that is about it. I love my REAL friends on facebook but I can always pick up the phone and call them too. I left it for almost two years and didn't miss it one bit. I have an account now to keep an eye on some important things and for my business. I try really hard to be involved but the more I try, the more I hate it. I also ended up almost sueing Facebook and had a lengthy fight to get a page removed about me. We ended having to send four cease and desist demands and finally heard back from them. By the way, you can't call them for important things. Even the police and attorneys have to go through some type of phone system. We went round and round with them until I told them I was hiring an attorney. The whole ordeal nearly gave me a heart attack. If I didn't have to keep an eye on a few things and not launching another NPO I would never have a Facebook account, twitter either.

FB just seems to yet another portal for whining. I'm sorry if you're dog crapped on your carpet today... but kids are still dying of cancer. Know what I mean? I would rather be in good company in person than 'Liking" stupid chit, which I seem to do more and more lately. Stupid me.

LOL I feel for ya. While one cat was humping my sheets the other one crapped on my carpet. Thanks for the update BlackJacket. Can you give me constant updates on your dog's bowel habits for the next couple of months? LOL Oh and please alert me when you take yours too. LOL

I thought about it but then realized it's pointless and makes it harder to login on some sites where I don't want to register. I have set most info to private and it does not contain much info anyway so I'm not worried about privacy that much. I rarely use FB personally, I have content managers for our website page on FB. It's free publicity so you'd be stupid not to have one.

LOL I feel for ya. While one cat was humping my sheets the other one crapped on my carpet. Thanks for the update BlackJacket. Can you give me constant updates on your dog's bowel habits for the next couple of months? LOL Oh and please alert me when you take yours too. LOL

Miss Lulu just pee'd and pooped. Looks like she might have eaten some hair so it was hard for her to get rid of it.
Don Panchito went pee as well but he couldn't poop. He did try though...

I haven't gone since this morning so we are good. :)

I had it and used it for awhile, until the reports of increased privacy intrusions started making me more wary of their intentions. I keep it now, only as an address book. Lots of classmates and other friends who just don't use email or are hard to contact...mainly for them. I now only run FB in an Incognito window in Chrome, so they aren't depositing those tracking cookies that prevail even when you are logged out (the FTC was investigating them over that).

I really do dislike, though, how many other online services expect you to use a FB account to sign up for anything. I find that highly disturbing. If you want to join Spotify, you now need a FB account to sign up. I will not use FB to ever log into any other service either--it is not a convenience for me, but it IS a way they are following your path around the Internet. (Don't think that they are not tracking you when you login via FB!)

I also advise clients never to hold their contests or promotions only on FB--that alienates everyone else who does not want to join FB for whatever their reason. Sure, use FB to help with promotion, but use it to drive traffic back to your main site!

I know their membership numbers are grossly inflated. I created a second account under a false name for my "business" interests--much as I hate that foul site, I still use them to drive traffic back to some of our sites. (I have done the same with G+ and Twitter; may also do it with Pinterest. Hey--free advertising can't be beat!) I also had a third and fourth that I used mainly for testing, or for helping others solve privacy issues on FB. If I have four accounts myself, you know others probably have multiple accounts also. There are even those people who forget their logins and create new accounts. It happens with any online service...even forums.

Their sag in stock price is fitting. I know I said last week that if their stock price dropped another $18.25, they would be at zero and we might be rid of them completely. :D

I now only run FB in an Incognito window in Chrome, so they aren't depositing those tracking cookies that prevail even when you are logged out (the FTC was investigating them over that).......I will not use FB to ever log into any other service either--it is not a convenience for me, but it IS a way they are following your path around the Internet. (Don't think that they are not tracking you when you login via FB!)
If you're worried about them tracking you, you need to run Incognito for every site you go as that's where they can actually track you.
If I have four accounts myself, you know others probably have multiple accounts also.
I have one for each of my personalities. :sneaky:

No seriously I do have 2 accounts, your point is very valid.

I have one for each of my personalities. :sneaky:

No seriously I do have 2 accounts, your point is very valid.

It is actually not a bad idea to have two. With some employers now asking to see your FB page, or just searching for it in order to find out more about you, it can't hurt to have one public version that puts you in a positive light. Where your "real" page (as hidden as possible) gives you the room to post about that drunken "lost weekend" up in the Everglades. :D

I deleted my account maybe in 2010 but also created a new facebook account only for pages for my site. Never regret deleting the account is totally a waste of your time. Even my Pages are linked to my twitter for only announcement and RSS feed. Basically I am using my twitter account only for now.

it's interesting to read people's comments. some don't like it but don't want to delete their account because they want to keep in contact with their friends. it's funny how a website can keep us for ..."ransom", for lack of a better description.

I don't use it much. log on about every 2 months or so. it was really cool back when it was only for students. I logged on yesterday and .. holy ****. wtf is this timeline thing? it's annoying and intrusive as hell. so many **** on each page now. it's confusing.

Top Bottom