Diablo 3 - Verdict (Poopy)

When the best and only loot you can use comes more from the Auction House than drops from monsters, you have a big problem. I've had 2 Legendary drops and neither of them were worth keeping.

When the best and only loot you can use comes more from the Auction House than drops from monsters, you have a big problem. I've had 2 Legendary drops and neither of them were worth keeping.

Yes and no :)

Of course the auction house is not to compare with the drops but .. have a look at diablo 2 (which everybody loves :)) if your were playing offline your only source for good loot was drops .. so if you say ok I won't spend any gold at the auction house you got D2 .. but if your wre playing d2 online you exchanged the items via chat but with one great problem the person you were tradiong with xould be a cheater and steel your gold .. this problem is now fixed with d3.

So I think the problem is another which everybody have. I think nowadays we are way too fast .,. we wan't everything now and couldn't wait for a drop. In Diablo 2 I had many runs to do until my weapon Crossbow dropped. In D3 I could go to the Auction House or farm it myself ..

In my opinion that was exactly the same problem with wow ... at the eraly days of wow everybody had fun farming mc ... but today you must rush DS for fast loot .... times change ... we changed but not the game its like D2

benny

The good thing I like about d3 giving it's good points in you spend an hour and a half getting through the act and then when the servers can't cope it crashes. Love that feature, you progress and get booted why other company's didn't think of this before is beyond me. Oh wait... o_O

Welp, just got Battlefield 3 for the PC (still hate EA and origin though so I didn't buy it through them :D) and will be playing that a lot now.

So it's not just me being overly critical then. The only good thing is i got my copy cheap at the blockbusters store for £34.99 but overall, deeply disappointed, blizzard may very well get away with selling this game and breaking record sales, they won't get away with it again I'd imagine. It's just so boring and has nothing going for it, it's really that repetitive.
Nope not only you. I got my copy for free as I signed up for the Annual Pass with World of Warcraft, big mistake but I enjoy D3 as a break from other games, refuse to play daily as the repetitiveness is starting to rear its ugly head.

I'm sitting here trying to decide whether or not to remove it from my PC. Setting aside the problems with the server infrastructure, the game is the mother of all exponential curves. Getting to the end game on Inferno requires you to grind obscene amounts of currency. I've completed Act One on Inferno for a paltry 500,000 gold. To progress any further I'll need to spend 1,000,000 or more per slot on gear. By the time you get to Act Three you'll need to be spending 10,000,000 per slot. Basically the end game, Inferno, is only available via the Auction House but at a monumental cost.

I'm sitting here trying to decide whether or not to remove it from my PC. Setting aside the problems with the server infrastructure, the game is the mother of all exponential curves. Getting to the end game on Inferno requires you to grind obscene amounts of currency. I've completed Act One on Inferno for a paltry 500,000 gold. To progress any further I'll need to spend 1,000,000 or more per slot on gear. By the time you get to Act Three you'll need to be spending 10,000,000 per slot. Basically the end game, Inferno, is only available via the Auction House but at a monumental cost.

That's the idea. The AH is designed to be the focus because that is how Blizzard will make money. Just wait for the real money AH to go live. Then you can buy items with real money and not have to farm (except in real life).

That's the idea. The AH is designed to be the focus because that is how Blizzard will make money. Just wait for the real money AH to go live. Then you can buy items with real money and not have to farm (except in real life).

Indeed, we were just discussing this on comms. I can see a lot of my Guild members getting sucked into it.

Indeed, we were just discussing this on comms. I can see a lot of my Guild members getting sucked into it.

Watch this video:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/jay-wilson-on-end-game-and-auction-house-again

Blizzard's official justification for a real money AH is quite literally, "everyone does it." This reason has the following problems:

1) It's not true.

2) Blizzard has condemned real money transactions in all of their previous games.

3) They don't even try to discuss the merits of the system. Rather they use the previously condemned actions of others to justify their doing the same thing.

4) They don't understand the impact of officially endorsing a real money system. Suddenly it's OK to buy items because Blizzard endorses it. Compare this to previous games like WoW where players were ridiculed for ebaying. Blizzard has redefined the boundaries of what is acceptable behavior and they don't even acknowledge that.

5) The stated contrast between WoW and D2 is valid but has a problem. He implies that real money wrecks a game like WoW but not D2. But the reality is that D3 is more like WoW than D2 such that what ruins WoW also ruins D3. Basically D3 is like WoW in that both are entirely focused on progression and nothing else. There is no substance to the gameplay beyond following a singular progression path to the end. In such a narrow and shallow game like WoW or D3, buying your way to the end completely wrecks the game because there is nothing else. In contrast, a game like D2 has a lot more depth to the gameplay beyond just progression. Said simply, there is no single progression path in D2. Part of the game is developing and testing different character builds. The itemization in D2 was highly varied and inspired, enabling many different character paths that were all valid and fun in their own respects. And the builds were consequential (permanent) which enabled many different meaningful and fun progression paths, unlike D3 where the only thing that is consequential is your class and level... the rest can be bought.

Basically the AH is a bad idea that is poorly justified and is made worse by the shallow gameplay in D3.

Yes, there is ;) It's called Whimsyshire, and is very cartoonish. You'll have to battle unicorns, flowers, and other cuddlies. It's actually a lot of fun.

I played the open beta, and mostly was impressed with the quality of the graphics, and how well the engine handles itself, with walls opening up to allow the player to continue having an overview. The cinematics are simply amazingly well done, and absolutely gorgeous and detailed.

What makes D3 different to D2 is the way levels are rendered. Every level you enter will have some randomized dungeons appear. As in: There might be 8 different dungeons, and 2 of them will appear per game. These instances will have you meet different bosses, different NPCs, and possibly different books of Lore or creature information.

If you try getting into Whimsyshire, you'll see what I mean.

Yes, it has the same repetition as D2, and eventually, it will become just another grind, but that did not grow old for me in D2, and I'm not yet bored of D3. Beyond NightMare, the unique and Set items are supposed to start dropping, so there's lots more to discover for me at the time (just started NM).

I also intend to see how far I can get with completeing the achievements, and trying out different classes.

Apart from the technical issues that initially plagued the game, and despite the steep 60 USD price, I still am enjoying it. And heck, I can live with the bugs. I have been playing Entropia Universe for 7 years, and that's just about as bad as games get, bug-wise.

I completely agree with all of this!

I generally like D3, although it does run into some troubles. First off, it's very short, and you run through it like no tomorrow. This holds even more true when you play with several people, as it becomes laughable easy. It does become repetitive, as act 1 really isn't that challenging or entertaining. Another issue is that skills are very poorly balances, in my opinion. It happened far too often that I unlocked a new skill or "rune", tried it, and jumped back to my previous skills as quick as I could. As you can only apply one rune at a time, you're also limited in your skill builds... while I could see some rune combinations to be much more fun and effective. It's just completely opposite D2 where new skills were actually always way more awesome than the previous skill. As you can't quickly swap skills due to cooldowns, stuff like teleport is more often than not more a sacrifice of a skill slot than a nice spell with a tactical use.

Then there's the items and crafting. You can't improve on items rather than inserting gems in them, which is... disappointing. Then, there's the fact that both drops and crafting are entirely random. Which is okay to a degree, I suppose, but using a load of craft items and a big chunk of gold to craft an item which gives + life from health orbs and + gold radius and some random attribute that you don't need... sucks. Especially when you try to sell or tear it apart again, and you get like 1% of the value back to you. Real nice. Gems are the same thing, you think "hey cool, I'll combine my gems and make them more awesome". But then you see the massive gold costs (even disregarding the training costs..) while you can buy gems from the auction house a lot (!) cheaper.

Another annoying thing is that half of the rare items that drop, just happen to be class specific items, and rarely ever to my advantage. And they drop way too random, which means that after a very strong boss fight I got 2-3 magic items, and when I clicked a random corpse, a magic item dropped for me. Ehr, what?

Last thing I'm gonna complain about is the online thing everyone hates. While it's very nifty that you can switch between single and multiplayer at any time, it gets horribly annoying to have random lag spikes, being unable to play the game due to yet another error / maintenance or even losing progress of a quest because you joined someones game and when you get back, it seems you have to do 50% of it again.

All in all it's a decent game, but it needs quite some effort put into it to keep it fun, I think.

I'll be uninstalling diablo 3 today as it holds zero interest for me. With it's repetitive flaw there's just no balance in the game your character can either 1. kill off your foes easily or 2. get dealt a one blow hit and voila dead there's just no middle ground where, when you kill a standard enemy, there's a feeling of accomplishment. Blizzard only got away with high sales because half the idiots that purchased it didn't realize how bad the game was going to be. I've since reverted back to Torchlight which as a whole, is a more balanced game, but I'll eagerly await torchlight 2 with it's added multilayer functionality which i feel will surpass D3 in the gameplaying department probably not the sales since blizzard, like apple could probably sell ice to Eskimo and people will still purchase the crap they build because of the name.

I'll be uninstalling diablo 3 today as it holds zero interest for me. With it's repetitive flaw there's just no balance in the game your character can either 1. kill off your foes easily or 2. get dealt a one blow hit and voila dead there's just no middle ground where, when you kill a standard enemy, there's a feeling of accomplishment. Blizzard only got away with high sales because half the idiots that purchased it didn't realize how bad the game was going to be. I've since reverted back to Torchlight which as a whole, is a more balanced game, but I'll eagerly await torchlight 2 with it's added multilayer functionality which i feel will surpass D3 in the gameplaying department probably not the sales since blizzard, like apple could probably sell ice to Eskimo and people will still purchase the crap they build because of the name.
3 days till GW2 Beta Weekend (y).

"Diablo 3 has 10 million players so the development team must be doing something right."

Um no. It's what is called cashing out on a brand. You can produce crap and people will still buy it.
When I asked you awhile back if you were playing Diablo 3 yet you said no and after reading the story I can see why you weren't hyped over it.

Alright well how about this, would you get Marvel Superheros since the director of Diablo 1 and 2 is doing it? http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/05/22/marvel-heroes-is-a-diablo-style-mmo

Basically he combined an Action-RPG (my fav genre) with an MMO (genre's I stay away from)

and it's all free. How do companies make money from free games like this wtf? Selling items?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Top Bottom