Lack of interest [Developer Tool] Allow override of mail transport inside \XF\Mail\Queue

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

DragonByte Tech

Currently, if we wish to send email instantly, we are able to override the email transport using code like so:

PHP:
        if ($mailingList->email_transport['emailTransport'] != 'default')
        {
            /** @var \XF\Mail\Mailer $mailerClass */
            $mailerClass = \XF::extendClass('XF\Mail\Mailer');

$transport = $mailingList->email_transport ? $mailerClass::getTransportFromOption(
                $mailingList->email_transport['emailTransport'], $mailingList->email_transport
            ) : null;
            $mail->send($transport);
        }
        else
        {
            $mail->send();
        }

However, there is no way to override the transport in the mail queue:
PHP:
                if ($mailer->send($message, null, $record))
                {
                    $this->db->delete('xf_mail_queue', 'mail_queue_id = ?', $record['mail_queue_id']);
                }
...at least, not without overriding the whole public function run($maxRunTime).

For this reason, I would like to request a minor change to the above code block:
PHP:
                if ($mailer->send($message, $this->getTransport($message), $record))
                {
                    $this->db->delete('xf_mail_queue', 'mail_queue_id = ?', $record['mail_queue_id']);
                }

And a new function at the bottom of the file:
PHP:
    protected function getTransport(\Swift_Mime_Message $message)
    {
        return null;
    }

Use case: I would like to determine whether the transport should be overridden by inspecting the headers in the message. When queuing the email, I would set a header like X-DBTech-Mailing-List: 1 and look up whether mailing_list_id = 1 should override the transport in the \XF\Mail\Queue class.

The reason why the transport may wish to be overridden is simple; certain email services such as Google Apps do not allow you to send promotional / bulk email via their service, or have restrictive email per hour limitations to prevent bulk email.
For that reason, a website administrator would wish to use these email services for transactional email (account registration / contact us emails) to maximise deliverability, but would want to revert to the server's own mail server (or a 3rd party system) to send bulk email.

I can't foresee this change requiring much development time to implement nor test during QA, so I'm hoping this can be implemented for 2.1.3 :)

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Top Bottom