Developer Review: DivisionByZero

xIsabel38

On December 14th, 2013 I decided to find someone to perform this task. @DivisionByZero answered the call. We spoke and agreed to everything right there in that post linked above. He said he could have the project done in 7-10 days and thus I agreed. I paid him an upfront payment on that day.

Lets just say that it's February 2nd, 2014 and I have not seen or gotten anything of this job. He says it's done yet he hasn't bothered to show me a single image or demo of it and instead had the nerve to request the remaining 50% payment.

Highly untrustworthy, he has basically taken $150 and ran with it. Use at your own risk.

I wanted to give a little more info since I am getting some PMs about this. So let me try to be clear here on exactly what happened, just understand that after the public post the discussion went to a PM and it is against forum rules for me to post PM details.

The job began December 14th and it seemed alright. 5 days later on the 19th he said the work was progressing. 5 days after that (December 24th) he said it was done. However this is where the issue begins.

He wanted me to finalize payment, ie... give him the remaining 50%. But that's not what we agreed on. I redirect you to our agreement post and more specifically here and here where I specifically state this:
I want to clarify that 50% after completion means it is verified as working perfectly and without error on my board.
That's fine, but I still do want to ensure it is working properly on my site after you're done.

I tried to make it clear that I will pay him the remaining 50% once I have my hands on it and tested it. You can see he agrees to this.

The reason behind this was because the truth was he didn't have a reputation like other developers. If he was a well known developer like @Jaxel , @Shelley , @Sheldon , or whatever then fine, I don't mind giving 100% but he isn't and I wanted to be sure I was getting what I paid for.

Once I reminded him of our agreement he acted like he never agreed to that. He stated he didn't trust me and would only give me the add-on once I fully paid him. It wasn't too hard to see that he was simply trying to get at the rest of the money so I asked him to take a screenshot of it or create a demo of it, he has yet to do that.

Of course I asked him for a refund. He didn't give me one. So yes, I filed a Paypal dispute, my first time ever doing so. I included links to our agreement and even took imagery of our conversation but they closed it because it's for a virtual item. I'm not finished yet, I called Paypal and they gave me another course of action.

But this is where the issue stands right now. I hope this was a little more detailed and explained a bit better as to what exactly happened.

I would suggest charging back the payment you made to him with your credit card company, if you paid from a credit card source.

We will wait to see what the developper has to say.

@DivisionByZero now would be a good time to explain why the addon hasn't been delivered as agreed upon.

When I called Paypal they told me to contact my bank and have my bank file a Paypal dispute instead of myself. This will have more pull and they will actually have to review it then. They haven't bothered to review it so far because it's a virtual item, I am hoping this works.

I would suggest charging back the payment you made to him with your credit card company, if you paid from a credit card source.

We will wait to see what the developper has to say.

@DivisionByZero now would be a good time to explain why the addon hasn't been delivered as agreed upon.

Problem with that may be PayPal blocking further use of that card or freezing your PayPal account for fund transfer or receipts.

Depending upon amount of fund transfers in your PayPal account, that may or may not be a good thing.

Problem with that may be PayPal blocking further use of that card or freezing your PayPal account for fund transfer or receipts.

Depending upon amount of fund transfers in your PayPal account, that may or may not be a good thing.

At the end of the day, Paypal is just a glorified payment processor, despite what they may think otherwise.

I make all my purchases with Paypal from a credit card source for this exact reason.

When I called Paypal they told me to contact my bank and have my bank file a Paypal dispute instead of myself. This will have more pull and they will actually have to review it then. They haven't bothered to review it so far because it's a virtual item, I am hoping this works.

Let us know how you get on with the bank.

I won't speak to the staff here and whether they knew or did not know because again, I have no knowledge on this. If it helps, then I officially state here that I am certainly indeed complaining about @DivisionByZero.

I invite him to come here and explain himself if he can and I am aware that XenForo has a rule against posting PM details unless consent is granted by both parties. Therefore I hereby expressly give my consent for him to reveal and utilize any of our private messaging.

I want to make one thing clear, I will not be a victim. I have read many of the other posts and it's sickening that so many users have complained about this guy but yet no one has done anything about it. So I intend to. The first step starts with getting my $150 back. @DivisionByZero knows he can simply cite "intangible goods" and PayPal will close the dispute. Apparently he's so well versed in this that he knew that already and that's what he did. But once you start getting banks and credit card companies involved the story changes. Your "intangible goods" isn't going to work here. PayPal will refund the money, they have guaranteed it in fact, they just need to wait for the proper paperwork which should take another 48-72 hours.

Thanks to my partner @ZeleronX, we have already filed an IC3 report.

The next step is to re-contact PayPal again now that they are more willing to listen and present to them every bit of evidence I can get my hands on. The IC3 report, the Bank Dispute, and other claims from other people that fell victim to this. I will not just stop at getting my refund because quite frankly, I'm just pissed now after learning that this has been going on for years. I know for a fact I am not the only one that has filed a Dispute and subsequently got shut down for an "intangible goods" clause, so I think it's time PayPal opened their eyes to our dear friend Christopher Candler here. I can guarantee that they will see a pattern if they bothered to look and it's my intention to bother them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The complaint has been posted and can be seen. Personal information and conversations have been posted. This is your final warning that all discussions must adhere to our policies.

They will refund.
If you need any help or information there are a few of us lurking vB and on xF. We are happy to point you in the right direction of which legal people to speak too.

I assure you the staff are aware of what Chris does, they have been told.

Chris' other scam is filing fraudulent paperwork with domain registrars to seize your sites domains. He got me for a couple a while back, took 4 months. Chris actually blogged about how he stole them (which I forwarded to the FBI and his Parole officer.) The guy is a bad bad man.

Point is, he is a scammer in our community and the administrators both here and on vB should be releasing his IP and other details to IC3 and or the parole officer. All of which they can get the info from the site.

Outside of the forums he is twisted and sick. Hide your children cause this guy is no joke.

The complaint has been posted and can be seen. Personal information and conversations have been posted. This is your final warning that all discussions must adhere to our policies.
Couldn't you have just edited their posts instead of deleting them? You kind of made it look like I was talking to myself now :(

Anyway, I'd say perhaps we lock this thread until @DivisionByZero makes an appearance in which case he can see this and send any staff a PM asking them to unlock.

My reply, one time:

I contacted this lady when the work was done. (my PM history here proves this). She wanted delivery before the final payment was made.

Now I've been doing freelance forum work for 14 years and I've already been bitten by that dog, so I told her no, and that she could see it on a demo board. She refused and posted this.

For every complainer and self-proclaimed web-entrepreneur with who thinks overnight success comes solely from OOB software, I have a dozen satisfied customers (many of whom are known millionaires) who will gladly take the time to tell a potential customer that I do excellent work.

I do not and will not negotiate with terrorists.

When and where? Even if thats true, its by the same 3 personas. Again, I have the support of some big guys, and thats all I need. I do, however, feel its time for me to compile my portfolio to refute these kinds of revenge threads.

Last edited:
When and where? Even if thats true, its by the same 3 personas. Again, I have the support of some big guys, and thats all I need. I do, however, feel its time for me to compile my portfolio to refute these kinds of revenge threads.

3 different people in here tagged you...

I have hired viaBowl a.k.a divisionbyzero

Paid $200 up front. viaBowl has been extremely detailed and reassuring as to date. He is very thorough and has given me better options and opinions than what I had in my plans. Will let you know how this turns out. Looking forward to working with him. Will update as we move along. He said he can complete in 15 days but I have alloted him 3 weeks.

Top Bottom