Desperate for a solution...vB/PP/Joomla

I'm a long-time vBulletin customer of several websites.

One of my primary sites using a pretty souped up version of vB 3.8.1 and PhotoPost 6.01.

I have over 500K posts, 17K members, 15K photos with 60K comments on photos.

From the beginning of the vB4 release I knew that wasn't it for me. No more vB, but what?

I also very much need to turn my main site from straight html to Joomla. I use Joomla for all my other websites and will not consider any other CMS option.

So, I need something will match my vB forum in stability, functionality and ease-of-use and ease-of-moderation AND includes a sophisticated gallery integration AND allows me to share login information between forum/gallery and Joomla.

Is xenForo a possibility at this point? Can I import/migrate forum data and gallery data given my configuration?

I've looked at IPB, but it looks like Joomla integration is not possible.

The Kunena forum -- native to Joomla just isn't mature enough yet and there really is no great Joomla photo gallery solution -- I've tried them all.

When it comes to Joomla integration, the real ideal is a strong integration with JomSocial, but at this point, I would settle for just user login integration.

I'm getting desperate for a solution.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

I'm a long-time vBulletin customer of several websites.

One of my primary sites using a pretty souped up version of vB 3.8.1 and PhotoPost 6.01.

I have over 500K posts, 17K members, 15K photos with 60K comments on photos.

From the beginning of the vB4 release I knew that wasn't it for me. No more vB, but what?

I also very much need to turn my main site from straight html to Joomla. I use Joomla for all my other websites and will not consider any other CMS option.

So, I need something will match my vB forum in stability, functionality and ease-of-use and ease-of-moderation AND includes a sophisticated gallery integration AND allows me to share login information between forum/gallery and Joomla.

Is xenForo a possibility at this point? Can I import/migrate forum data and gallery data given my configuration?

I've looked at IPB, but it looks like Joomla integration is not possible.

The Kunena forum -- native to Joomla just isn't mature enough yet and there really is no great Joomla photo gallery solution -- I've tried them all.

When it comes to Joomla integration, the real ideal is a strong integration with JomSocial, but at this point, I would settle for just user login integration.

I'm getting desperate for a solution.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.
There is currently a jFusion plugin released by Coop (http://xenforo.com/community/threads/joomla-bridge-using-jfusion.12674/) currently for Joomla 1.5, so using Joomla wouldn't be an issue.

King Kovifor is working on a Galleria add-on that will blow other galleries (IPB/vBulletin/Photopost) away. He also has plans for an importer so you wouldn't lose your photos. The release isn't currently known for this, but he's started working on it again recently (He had school and work that was taking up his time).

I'd try xenforo + joomla + Gallery2 ... with jfusion to integrate them all.
I'd ask in the jfusion forums if you should go with joomla 1.5 or 1.6.

Ideally you should wait for a Gallery Addon for Xenforo. I would be surprised if a fine-tuned Gallery Addon for your needs was ready in 6 months.

You could also use jfusion Universal Plugin to provide login integration between a gallery other than Gallery2. You could find a gallery that works and then get someone to write a jfusion plugin for your gallery.

Good Luck !

jfusion.gallery2.joomla.xenforo.webp

Actually this isn't quite right you can use IP.Converge to help bridge with Joomla.
I seem to remember IP.Converge being listed as a product of their suite once upon a time. Now it isn't. It does not appear to be mentioned anywhere as a product or a feature on the main site. So, I've been on the IPB forums multiple times searching on "Joomla" and such. The recent postings on "Joomla" threads seem dubious as to whether or not the integration is working. At one time, I tried the hosted version just so that I'd able to get on to the support forums to read more about the reality of integrating with Joomla. I guess my hosted test account wasn't spending enough money to get access to the main forums. So, without being able to make a real assessment (I believe I also tried emailing support at one time) on whether or not Joomla can be supported, I definitely can't spend the kind of money needed to find out, only to be disappointed. So, if you can direct me to something very definitive and recent about IP.Converge, I'd love the link. I guess I'm just missing something.

I'd try xenforo + joomla + Gallery2 ... with jfusion to integrate them all.
I'd ask in the jfusion forums if you should go with joomla 1.5 or 1.6.

Ideally you should wait for a Gallery Addon for Xenforo. I would be surprised if a fine-tuned Gallery Addon for your needs was ready in 6 months.

You could also use jfusion Universal Plugin to provide login integration between a gallery other than Gallery2. You could find a gallery that works and then get someone to write a jfusion plugin for your gallery.

Good Luck !

I've used Gallery2 extensively on another site. I really don't want to go down that path again. I also can't wait for 6 months for Galleria. I have to say I'm pretty de-motivated on updating my site because I keep waiting for the next 'right' thing. It probably isn't years, but I feel like I've been waiting for years and it's getting exhausting. I need to update that site.

Turns out PhotoPost is supporting xenForo, so I think an option might be Joomla, xenForo and PhotoPost for a while at least. If I go that route, I can buy the time I need until Galleria for xenForo is out--assuming it's better.

Turns out PhotoPost is supporting xenForo, so I think an option might be Joomla, xenForo and PhotoPost for a while at least. If I go that route, I can buy the time I need until Galleria for xenForo is out--assuming it's better.
I'd really listen to what Digital Doctor is saying. Just wait for a few months more if that's possible.

King Kovifor is working on a Galleria add-on that will blow other galleries (IPB/vBulletin/Photopost) away. He also has plans for an importer so you wouldn't lose your photos. The release isn't currently known for this, but he's started working on it again recently (He had school and work that was taking up his time).
Drooling for it..... I mean tired of drooling for it. :barefoot:

FWIW, PhotoPost has a bridge to XF, but it's not ideal. It still will have your site relying on two totally different products coded in two totally different waysKK's Galleria should be released end of May if everything goes well. It might probably be a beta or first version of it, but it will be built in the same framework as XenForo.

Instead of three products, built in three different ways you'd end up with three products built in two different ways. I would also strongly suggest you to wait the few more weeks for the Galleria solution. It will hopefully be worth the wait, and in the meantime, you can already start preparing for the rest of the migration.

FWIW, PhotoPost has a bridge to XF, but it's not ideal. It still will have your site relying on two totally different products coded in two totally different waysKK's Galleria should be released end of May if everything goes well. It might probably be a beta or first version of it, but it will be built in the same framework as XenForo.

Instead of three products, built in three different ways you'd end up with three products built in two different ways. I would also strongly suggest you to wait the few more weeks for the Galleria solution. It will hopefully be worth the wait, and in the meantime, you can already start preparing for the rest of the migration.
Galleria won't be done by the end of May, and I've not read anywhere where Kovifor has said that it would be. The only mention of May relating to him programming is how he will have more time to program starting May 1st.

Galleria won't be done by the end of May, and I've not read anywhere where Kovifor has said that it would be. The only mention of May relating to him programming is how he will have more time to program starting May 1st.

I stand corrected. I mis-remembered his statement from here:

I see b1 by the end of May hopefully (I know, 5 months late).

So beta 1 is hopefully out by end of May. Still, the beta might suffice as a temporary solution. I certainly hope it will cover my gallery needs and bridges the gap until the full release comes out.

I stand corrected. I mis-remembered his statement from here:

So beta 1 is hopefully out by end of May. Still, the beta might suffice as a temporary solution. I certainly hope it will cover my gallery needs and bridges the gap until the full release comes out.
Just don't want people assuming it has an actual deadline now because they'll hound him for the release. And it should be stable when a beta is released, just not completely feature rich.

So, I think I'm going to wait a while and just upgrade my PhotoPost from 6.01 to 7.1. I've waited this long...
I am using Xenforo 1.0.1 and Photopost 7.1 integrated. Photopost seems dated compared (looks like it is vBulletin 2 era) with Xenforo and the integration is not the best. You would have to work alot for the styles to match.

No idea what Photopost 8 will be like, hopefully it will be a vast improvement.

Exactly. The functionality is okay, but the UI is just no longer acceptable and hasn't been for quite a while. But it is so integrated with the forum -- also dated but functional. In addition to new functionality, I'm going to need to be able to import my current data.

Top Bottom