Deleting Users

Darfuria

I want to purge a forum of all users with 0 posts - if I simply remove all users from xf_users with a message_count of 0, it will work OK?

This might be a silly question.

Why do you want to delete them? I have members that log in on a regular basis but don't post. Some of these members that have not posted but have been members for years contribute financially to the forum and have become customers to my store.

I have always wondered why people want to delete non-poster?

I simply don't like the idea of having a high member count because of a member base of people who have never used the forum. I'd rather the number was realistic

Does your forum get any financial support from the member base?

There are people that will want to join just to read. If I killed off my non-posters I would kill of maybe 20% of my financial support. I guess it depends on what kind of forum it is. Some of my members go to the forum for information and to learn and feel they don't have much to offer but appreciates that the forum exists.

Nope

There are people that will want to join just to read. If I killed off my non-posters I would kill of maybe 20% of my financial support. I guess it depends on what kind of forum it is. Some of my members go to the forum for information and to learn and feel they don't have much to offer but appreciates that the forum exists.

Guests can read all of the forums, so there's no need to register unless they wish to respond.

Nope

Guests can read all of the forums, so there's no need to register unless they wish to respond.

Mine can read as well but unless they join they are not able to contribute money. I have had members that read for 2 years and as they learned enough to start contributing information they became posters.

Mine can read as well but unless they join they are not able to contribute money. I have had members that read for 2 years and as they learned enough to start contributing information they became posters.

Do you promote your contributing users to a special usergroup?

In this case you could eliminate this group from the purge, however if you have 1000+ members that have signed up, never posted, haven't contributed and haven't accessed the site in months then what is the point of leaving the accounts there wasting space?

A couple thoughts come to mind:

1.) They might want to watch a thread to get updates to something they're interested in following.

2.) They might want to join simply to have threads they have already read marked as read (esp. if reading from multiple computers, etc.)

A couple thoughts come to mind:

1.) They might want to watch a thread to get updates to something they're interested in following.

2.) They might want to join simply to have threads they have already read marked as read (esp. if reading from multiple computers, etc.)

Well, tough! :)

You can always put supporters in a usergroup. Than you can exclude those during prune process.

The point of pruning 0 posters is that you delete someone that joins, hasn't participated, made no private msgs, no profile posts, or other contributions, such as subscriptions. they're just "dead" accounts and give a false reflection of the activity on a board.

Prune the inactive accounts that joined (but perhaps reconsidered).

If they desire to be active they're always free to re-register again.

Top Bottom