MG 2.2 Deleting media gallery vs attachments and privacy

arn

With the new attachment -> media gallery syncing, it introduces some weird situations in terms of privacy / permissions.

I presently don't allow users to delete media gallery images. The reason is that as I understand it, if the attachments resync, those deleted media images will reappear. That seems like unexpected behavior for the user side.

But I also don't let users edit their posts after a week or so, as it causes issues and is also something that spammers do.

So, if someone posted an attachment a long time ago -- let's say 1 year ago, but now doesn't want it to be on the site anymore or listed in their user profile page -- what can they do? They have to contact us, right? Is there another way to handle this?

arn

I presently don't allow users to delete media gallery images. The reason is that as I understand it, if the attachments resync, those deleted media images will reappear. That seems like unexpected behavior for the user side.
I'm pretty sure that would only apply if the media was hard deleted, as that would require us to remove the reference from the attachment to the media item. Soft deletion still has the relationship, so then it's down to permissions as to whether it's viewable.

So, if someone posted an attachment a long time ago -- let's say 1 year ago, but now doesn't want it to be on the site anymore or listed in their user profile page -- what can they do? They have to contact us, right? Is there another way to handle this?
If they can't edit the media item or the post with the attachment, a moderator would have to remove it for them.

I'm pretty sure that would only apply if the media was hard deleted, as that would require us to remove the reference from the attachment to the media item. Soft deletion still has the relationship, so then it's down to permissions as to whether it's viewable.
Ah. That makes sense. I’ll test that.

Top Bottom