1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Deleting mass spam

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Ehren, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Ehren

Ehren Active Member

Hi everyone,

A few months ago, I had a huge influx of spam on my forum. I changed the permissions of a node so it required manual approval of topics. A couple of weeks later, I checked back and saw 1,000+ pages of unapproved spam topics.

I deleted the entire node from the admin cpanel (which also removed the topics), but it seems like they're all still in the database. The main reason I think this is that the database backup is still the same file size, even after deleting the node.

Can anyone confirm/deny if topics are deleted from the database after clicking the following button:
    Screen Shot 2013-07-12 at 10.27.24 AM.png

If they're not deleted, is there a way I can remove them from the database? There are roughly 25,000 spam threads which I'd rather not have, especially considering I only have 2,800 regular posts. :)

Thanks.

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Ehren likes this.
  4. Ehren

Ehren Active Member

Thanks for the reply. When nodes are deleted, are those threads given a node id of 0? Or is there a query which will delete all threads not associated with a node? I have very little SQL knowledge, so I have no idea myself. :)

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

When nodes are deleted the nodes and threads within them no longer exist (in 1.2.).

6. arr0w

arr0w Member

So if I delete a node all the threads within will be deleted from the database? I'm converting a friend's vBulletin forum which has close to a million useless threads, we haven't found an easy way to mass delete them and make the database size smaller, this would be the perfect solution, although I'm sure deleting a single forum with a million threads would be impossible.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes.

arr0w likes this.
  8. arr0w

arr0w Member

Thanks.