Not a bug "Deleted" Profile Banner keeps coming back when trying to upload new one, no error message

⭐ Alex ⭐

Affected version
I feel like the face is trolling me :( I assume it's because whatever banner Im uploading doesnt meet the requirements, and it's trying to roll back to the previous. But why isn't there an error message either.

Edit: I tried deleting the banner then hitting save, but when I tried uploading the new one the face came back again.

Last edited:
That would certainly seem likely. Profile banners, like avatars, always write to the same file, though we use a different query string as a cache buster. But if there is some sort of delayed propagation, where once the new file has been written the old file is still served for a period of time, that would explain it. Though I'm not sure what could really be done about that. (I've not noticed any other reports of this in particular.)

Beyond that, if you have some sort of caching scheme that ignores query strings (as I believe CloudFlare can be configured to do), that would certainly cause something like this.

Beyond that, if you have some sort of caching scheme that ignores query strings (as I believe CloudFlare can be configured to do), that would certainly cause something like this.

There was something up with my CDN, I'll have to make sure query strings aren't getting stripped, thanks Mike. That's what I get for setting that up at night.

Last edited:
Top Bottom