XF 1.5 Delayed Two-Step-Verifaction eMails

Freelancer

Recently more and more of my users reported delayed (up to 40 minutes) or missing Two-Step-Verification eMails. I contacted the service provider (I am using SMTP sending from XF) and they told me everything would be okay on their end, no logs showed any problems. I also did check the Server logs and XF logs but can't find anything odd or any error beside some bounced eMails from the past, but nothing related to the Two-Step-Verification.

Is there something that could block the Two-Step-Verifaction or delaying eMails on the code side? Can add-ons influence it? Where would I need to look?

Thanks in advance

I contacted the service provider (I am using SMTP sending from XF) and they told me everything would be okay on their end, no logs showed any problems
But what did the logs show? Delivery of the mail to the recipients mail server immediately after your provider received it?

You are making an SMTP connection to your providers mail server. They are accepting your email, and their server will then make an SMTP connection to the recipients mail server to deliver your email.
Thus, the providers mail logs should show x2 actions - 1 for accepting the email from you, and 2 for delivering that email to the target/recipient server.
Timestamps on each action will be what you want to know, along with the exact time your user/server actioned the 2FA email launch.

So, bad thing is I am on a "shared" host and the provider has a hard time picking up my stuff from the mailserver logs. But I think I found something that could explain the problems.
I made my own test and did simulate an impatient user... When there is some traffic and the eMail does not arrive instantly, some users try to login again and again... the system sends out another and another eMail and these are then delayed. I guess that is the mail queue of XF that prevents spam? It could be an explanation. On my part I did not experience any problems, but users come up with the weirdest behaviors and blame the software.

That is really strange. Because quite a few Users reported delayed eMails while the Hosting Provider says there are no errors logged and I also had no significant delays with my tests. Maybe it is just internet traffic and a shared server. I wanted to switch to a managed server in the future and see how performance improves.

Top Bottom