Default vs Third Party Styles

I used default at first, bought a bunch of addons to try and customize it (newbie error). I then saw the logic of using third-party themes, went for free - facing limitations with minimally developed themes. Purchased third-party premium theme, immediately clear that it's the way to go. Running PixelEdit "Core" style (based on Xenforo default) and finding much more freedom, AND support is quick, relevant, helpful. This is my third style customization (God help me), and I appreciate a style well-developed, not just "flashy" looking. Until I become more agile with Xenforo, I think it makes sense to aim for simplicity. Also verify addons compatibility, engage developers in conversation, they always respond helpfully (that should be a word... :) ).

Hope this helps!

Andre

I've always used 3rd party styles. There are usually a ton of sites using the default style in various different colors while a 3rd party style helps you stand out a bit more and if you customize it then you stand out even more. The thing to remember is when customizing a style always make a child theme of the theme and edit the child so when you update your theme you update the parent merge changes and you usually don't have to recustomize the style again.

Ah, yes, as Ernest says, this is a very good piece of advice I received early on too - create a new theme, using the theme you purchased, rename it with something like "child" at the end, and use that as your default, and the target of all your edits.

Xenforo keeps things solid by not bloating their software. People develop addons because they want certain functions and features. For newbies, it could get overwhelming trying to take in all Xenforo has to offer, what you get with the default theme, and what you'll need as far as addons. My advice - ask questions, we all start somewhere and it's certainly tougher on your own.

I changed over to the default style only a few days ago and been getting nothing but grumbles from my members. I changed over to default style at the recommendation of a site owner here on XenForo. I was told that XenForo would work considerably more efficient, and my members wouldn't much care about losing the style of the third party theme. Sense turning off the third party style, I have been bombarded by questions and complaints. My third party theme is now turned back on and will remain turned on. :eek: Third party styles all the way!

Sorry to hear Richard, personally I turn the default style to troubleshoot an issue I have with my third-party theme or some addons. So it's very rare I do this.

I certainly understand that after working to present your forum with a style of your choosing, and people getting used to it, it's going to be a loss to them and yourself. The default style can be built upon and customized (as suggested, create first a child copy of the theme and work with that copy), but if you're looking for a more unique look, you do have to venture out and look at third-party styles.

As far as speed is concerned (unless you are using very heavy/ big images, then try reducing their weight), I wouldn't know where to direct you, there may be addons or resources tips on this forum, that with a closer look at your hosting's performance, plan, shared or not, traffic, etc. To troubleshoot a site's speed demands looking at many variables.

A good place to start is: http://gtmetrix.com/

All the best! (y)

Top Bottom