1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default vs Third Party Styles

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by MQK8, Mar 15, 2015.

1. MQK8

MQK8 Active Member

Hi, just curious from forum owners, admins and users. Do you prefer the looks of Xenforo's default style for your forum or a custom third party style for your forum? I ask this cause I was told I should use the Default style over a third party style, what do you think?
    Thanks

2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

If it's just a generic site, the default style's fine; if it's a unique site for something like a video game, then a custom style is a must.

MQK8 likes this.
  3. MQK8

MQK8 Active Member

Not a gaming site or generic but I'm thinking third party all the way. Plus besides looks, a nice third party style has nice features like an About Us Page, Donate and Social Media Icon features and more.

4. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Arty and The Forum Heroes like this.
  5. tajhay

tajhay Well-Known Member

Third Party Style.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Well-Known Member

I'm staying with a lightly modified (some gradients and rounded corner removed) generic style for now, because I don't want to have to deal with possible compatibility issues with upgrades, etc. Here is one of my sites: http://www.mu-43.com

BassMan, dieketzer and rafass like this.
  7. Goodfella

Goodfella Active Member

Nice colors!

I would like to see more Default Style color palette's.

8. MQK8

MQK8 Active Member

Nice site, good job.. I like the way you've done everything and the default looks pretty good there.

9. Amin Sabet

Thank you!

10. batpool52!

batpool52! Well-Known Member

Default Style with few changes.

maszd and rafass like this.
  11. rafass

rafass Well-Known Member

Default style forever with my own customisations.

maszd likes this.
  12. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

i really like that! ive always though xf looks so much better without all the gradients. i hadnt considered removing the radius on all the corners before, but i sure am now.

i typically stick with the default style. on this one i simply stripped out gradients and muted the default colours a bit. its been many years since i did that one. i may update it a bit now i think.

13. Amin Sabet

Thanks, all! I've uploaded my style here in case anyone wants to use it as a starting point for their own: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/flat-default-light-tweaked.4126/

rafass and dieketzer like this.
  14. rafass

rafass Well-Known Member

Yeah Amin Sabet, I love your style. looks really great.
    Seriously considering get rid rounded corners and gradients. looks really, really, nice.

15. Amin Sabet

Thanks!

16. RoldanLT

Code:
    {
        border-radius: 0 !important;
    }

17. rafass

rafass Well-Known Member

Thanks RoldanLT, Still considering :D

18. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

i have been contemplating starting over with my style, and maybe amins theme would be a good place to start. it is designed to leverage the advantages of a child style? the caveat regarding overwritten graphics makes me think it may not, which somewhat defeats the purpose of using a default-based template theme.
    i suppose i could start over from scratch. ive mainly put it off because i created the style while xf was in beta, and removing gradients and creating a dark theme alternative were monumental tasks at that time.

19. RichardGaspa

RichardGaspa Active Member

100% in agreement. I manage a niche site and @Arty is a must for us. Lots of bells and whistles you can turn on or leave off depending on what you are trying to do. Take a quick look at my site and if you have a questions feel free to PM me.

Arty likes this.
  20. RoldanLT

Now back to default style :)
    :love:
    To fix/avoid some issues with low specs computers and also addon compatibility.
    With default style, 99% all addons is compatible ;)

Just messing with color palettes today :unsure:

BassMan, Goodfella and batpool52! like this.