• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Not planned Default style selection in ACP

Jim Boy

Can you make the changing of the default style not so easy?

We run a busy site and a couple of times an errant click of a mouse has led to the default style being changed unnoticed to something other than what it should, usually some test style which is definitely not for user consumption.

Having a confirmation process would make this safer, or at the very least, disallow non-user selectable styles from being the default style.

Jim Boy

Ease of use should never be compromised within the software.
Thanks, although another general principle should be that you generally should not be able to do damage with a single click of a mouse. And whilst you might argue that changing a style wont do that, it can have knock-on effects which can. For example this morning I accidentally set the default style to a test version. I was flicking between templates as I was testing some functionality using {xen:helper dump} in the user_message_info template. This very quickly killed the site completely, I obviously didn't see the overlay message, and I would argue that this is almost a UI bug. As the default selector is hard up against the templates link, it is easy to press the wrong link inadvertantly, or in my case I think I did little double click and managed to hit both targets, which meant no overlay. This was further compounded by the fact that we run ACP off a different server that was unaffected so it took me even longer to notice. Even if I did notice it immediately, it is still a serious issue as we can have 100 page views a second at peak times, so even a few seconds on wrong style is bad news for us.

Having said all of that, happy with the bug report. I didn't report it as a bug as I figured that people may want the default style to be non-selectable. For example someone may decide that they want guests to see a particular style that wouldn't be available to regular users. I know that there are other, better ways of doing this.