1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deeper integration with Facebook and Twitter

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by imthebest, Aug 16, 2014.

1. imthebest

imthebest Formerly Super120

Many people claim that Facebook and Twitter are killing forums. There is a huge debate around this idea and it's not the point of this thread to discuss about that.

Instead of allowing these social sites to drain your member's activity we need to be more smart and "use" these sites to our own benefit. It would be awesome if the Facebook and Twitter integration that XenForo offers could do this by default:

1. Allow people to post on their Facebook wall about a new thread that they are creating so when they are creating a thread a checkbox labeled "Post on Facebook" should be displayed.
    2. Allow people to also post their status on Twitter.
    3. Allow people to share on Facebook/Twitter whenever they get a new trophy!

At least one of these (#2 specifically) was considered by @Kier since the first days:

There is currently an add-on by @Chris D that does everything described here: Social Connect. However his add-on requires a second association with Facebook/Twitter in order to work (see my question and the answer by Chris). Why? Long history short because XF's Facebook/Twitter integration doesn't asks for the required permissions.

And because of the limitation explained above I think that this should be a core feature, a must have!

Please don't forget to LIKE this suggestion to show your support so @Kier and @Mike can have it in account!

Shamatix, dethfire, Coop1979 and 22 others like this.
  2. Max

Max Active Member

+ pulling stuff from facebook.

1. If you have a friend in facebook and he is also in your XF forum then show them you have the same friend in this forum with some other username.
    You can do that using the people who linked their facebook account to the XF account.

2. When registering through facebook connect pull his profile picture and show it as avatar in forum. Suggest him a username based on his fb name.

3. when user change profile picture it automatically change his picture in forum, pulling text like status from fb etc..

4. Let people use FB chat within the forum and allow people to load fb friendlist in chat etc..
    IPF likes this.
  3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It does do this when you go to register or look at associating. ("Enable Facebook Registered Friends Feature" option)

It did this originally but it was very common that people would just leave the name as is and then ask for it to be changed later. It was removed based on feedback.
    Max likes this.
  4. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

@xfrocks already did this, Hope fully will be core feature of XenForo.
  5. xfrocks

xfrocks Well-Known Member

RoldanLT likes this.
  6. Max

Max Active Member

@Mike Thanks, Is there any way to get atleast this feature

7. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

By default, it doesn't seem like Xenforo allows embedding of Tweets in a post.

Do the Twitter types in this thread want to enable embedding tweets in posts ?

By default, you can use these sites:

Should Twitter be on this list ?
    RichardGaspa likes this.
  8. RichardGaspa

RichardGaspa Active Member

Please add Twitter.
  9. CMGDevel

CMGDevel Active Member

And while we are at it have Xenforo meta tag images contained in a thread (other than the forum logo or a user avatar) for better sharability on FB.
    Digital Doctor and RichardGaspa like this.
  10. RichardGaspa

RichardGaspa Active Member

This I like .....
  11. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

There is additional backend trickery you ca do with Facebook integration...

So as an example, a user can click the normal XF "Like" button on my site, and if they have their settings as shown above, it automatically likes that page as if they clicked a Facebook like button as well.
  12. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

I would buy this as a premium add-on if you released it. Esp for the trophy posts!
    Kevin likes this.
  13. digitalpoint

The problem is it's just one tiny part of a much bigger addon that would be of little use to other sites as a whole... There are 9 types of accounts that users can link to their account, and each does various things for them... most of which is specific to digitalpoint.com.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if someone didn't already make something that does exactly that in the resource manager here.
  14. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

I don't recall seeing anybody else doing it yet.

(I wonder if @Daniel Hood would be interested.... :whistle: )
  15. digitalpoint

I'll look around when I have some time... if that's the case, I'll see about stripping my existing addon down to be more for any site.

Either way, it would be nice to have it as a core feature... it definitely brings us a lot of traffic. More than 70% of the third party social interactions we have on our site are from auto-posting to Facebook and Twitter feeds.

For that same period, we got 6,316 referrals from Facebook/Twitter, so it seems to bring about 4 direct visitors per auto-post.
    imthebest and Kevin like this.
  16. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

I've thought about making an add on that integrates with Tiwtter and Facebook a little more. Not sure how much interest there is though and I have a full plate as is.

There is an add on that I recall seeing a long time ago which posts status updates and maybe some other stuff to facebook and twitter.
  17. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

There is https://xenforo.com/community/resources/bd-social-share.2182/ but it doesn't post trophies, status updates or likes
    xfrocks likes this.
  18. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

thumped, IPF and xfrocks like this.
  19. imthebest

imthebest Formerly Super120