Dedicated Search Server

Brent W

Anyone doing this?

Recently been playing with RackSpace's Cloud Servers and have a dedicated web server with 2GB of memory and a Dedicated MySQL server with 1GB of memory. Works fine for my current low volume sites but I am about to put a larger site on them and was going to use elasticsearch on it. I can easily add a third server with 512MB of memory dedicated to just running search if it would make a difference?

Basically trying to keep everything as separate as I can so I can easily tell which is the most resource intensive for all my sites.

2 months it has been since I moved to a dedicated server. server4you.de has affordable, decent dedicated servers to offer. 2 sceduled downtimes, no hiccups since then. I don't know anyone else who offers 8 core, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB Sata II with unlimited unmetered bandwith for just 38.99 EURO....

2 months it has been since I moved to a dedicated server. server4you.de has affordable, decent dedicated servers to offer. 2 sceduled downtimes, no hiccups since then. I don't know anyone else who offers 8 core, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB Sata II with unlimited unmetered bandwith for just 38.99 EURO....

Unbelievable on that price.

Check server4you.de, very good prices.
But I don't like the setup free. Can they offer it free if we pay annually.

+10 EUR more if you want to avoid it. Still 48.99 is pretty sweet deal for that hardware. They had an annual plan but it vanished with the new server set last month. I don't like to be binded for a year, month to month payment gives me more security if one day they piss me off and I can switch.

I wouldn't want to pay that little for a server/company that I depend on. The last time (about 7 years ago now) I scored an unbelievable deal like that, the hosting company went belly up, taking both my money and my server with them. Be careful.

Back to the topic at hand, though; I definitely plan on doing this if/when I deploy XenForo. If those of you who are doing it could share some details about your configuration, that would be great.

I wouldn't want to pay that little for a server/company that I depend on. The last time (about 7 years ago now) I scored an unbelievable deal like that, the hosting company went belly up, taking both my money and my server with them. Be careful.

Back to the topic at hand, though; I definitely plan on doing this if/when I deploy XenForo. If those of you who are doing it could share some details about your configuration, that would be great.

server4you has been around for years now and I recently visited them here in Hannover (CEBIT) they have some interesting ideas. Of course anything is possible these days but I see no evidence not to trust them at the moment.

I would be careful....Ii've been reading elastic search can take some major memory.
I would be prepared for 512 to turn into 2gb depending on the users.

If going by the list of forums in bama stangs sigs are the only forums he is running I would expect he can run ES on all of them on 512mb with room to spare even if he gets busy spikes.

Top Bottom