Deceased User Handling - RIP

Sorry to hear. Yer, tough gig that one. Had a few of those from suicide and such, spouses notifying us. I have placed accounts into a high privacy state, basically, and at times members have started a thread to acknowledge the passing...

Over the years we've lost quite a few users.
We have a "Deceased" User Group with a user banner.
We also have an "In memoriam" forum where "RIP" threads go after they've been in our community chat forum for a while.
The community has also donated money towards planting a grove of trees in memory of the users.

We did the same when one of our senior members and biggest booster passed away just after last Christmas. Created a "Rest in Peace" user group, changed her title to "Rest in Peace" and created a new forum for In Memoriam threads for our members as well as members of the board we replaced who didn't "come over". Unfortunately, our membership skews older so I fear we'll be using them a lot in the coming years.

(To give you an idea of how important this user was, she is still fairly high in the "most messages" months after her death.)

(To give you an idea of how important this user was, she is still fairly high in the "most messages" months after her death.)
I can relate. My member is still the #2 poster, even a year after his death. He was also my only Moderator.

I can relate. My member is still the #2 poster, even a year after his death. He was also my only Moderator.

I think people offered to nominate her (we elect our mods), but she turned it down. She was a bit cranky with our problem posters so I imagine suspensions would have been coming a lot quicker than they have been.

Top Bottom