Dealing with bad add-ons here in the resouces...

Status
Not open for further replies.

otto

Hello,

these days I wanted to uninstall the add-on "custom fields" of waindigo. I have done as usual with a click of your stall ...

But the result was devastating - some tables of the resource managers were thereby destroyed.
As a result, numerous error messages came in the error log. So I had to look for a solution and found it in the discussion theme of the add-on. I am not alone.
The problem is known since november 2014 - but the developer does not consider it necessary to fix the problem or to give a hint to beware users to lose there data.

Would not it be good if XenForo would check at least the basic installation / uninstall from new add-ons or in such big errors are known - mark an add-on, as a warning to the user?

In phpBB support forums - the staff can close support threads from add-ons and leaf a message with a warning when a add-on is not supported. I think thats not a bad idea.

I and others times ago... yes. But as you can see - he also gives no answer to this topic in the support thread. And when he dosnt be willing or have time to give an answer - what when xenforo upgrades to 2.0 ? ;)

XenForo just doesn't have the staff to manage this.
I truely understand this - but then we only can give bad ratings and hope every body will read bevor. ;)

Last edited:
Would it not be good if you read through the addon thread before installing it?

If there are obvious problems then you'll find out about them there

Also the whole rating system is there to highlight issues like this. Always check the bad ratings of any addon to see if it's anything to worry about.

50 pages? ;)

I installed the add-on at mid 2014 (bevor this problem was actual) and deinstalled it now, months after the reports from users about this.

Also the whole rating system is there to highlight issues like this. Always check the bad ratings of any addon to see if it's anything to worry about.
Yeah - thats a good point. But here, iam the first they have do that. (y) So in this case, all members from now have a chance to save there data. But bevore, every has to read x pages with postings to find what ever... :unsure:

The point is - the developer is informed, since months about this. But no official warning from him or a patch. :whistle:

A hint in the FAQ where also a nice idea...

It's an issue with the developer and if he ignores it then it's one the community can address through ratings/reviews.

XF can't realistically hope to police everything like this but I know they've used the "unsupported" tag for addons before so that might be an option if enough people make a fuss about it.

I installed the add-on at mid 2014 (bevor this problem was actual) and deinstalled it now, months after the reports from users about this.
Ah but we're you running the latest version before uninstalling? I notice that Jon released an update in November to fix an uninstall action issue following reports from users and since then there have been other updates too.

I and others times ago... yes. But as you can see - he also gives no answer to this topic in the support thread. And when he dosnt be willing or have time to give an answer - what when xenforo upgrades to 2.0 ? ;)
Your only contact with Jon in that add-on thread was for other issues months before, which Jon promptly responded to and fixed. You only mention the uninstallation issue in your post this morning. All other mentions about the issue are from others in November which Jon responded to and issued a fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom