Dead add ons!

DaveM

I was just wondering why it is that we still have add ons that are outdated or completely dead still listed in the resources area. This becomes a bit of a pain when trying to find anything having all of these listed in your search. Some add on have now also been included in the core of XF but are still listed as add ons.

Would this not be rather off putting for any potential new customers doing research on the forum software itself. I know when I wanted to move over from VB to XF this was the one part that I did a lot of reading and checking up on to make sure I could get as close to what I had even if it was with add ons.

Not everyone is running XenForo 1.4. The other day someone on here was still using 1.1. Old add-ons would still be useful to users like this.

I agree but it does seem that some of the add ons should be monitored a bit closer. I know on other forum software they do this in different ways

I agree but it does seem that some of the add ons should be monitored a bit closer. I know on other forum software they do this in different ways
The XenForo devs have always said they don't monitor or check the offerings in Resources. They are a small team and any checking would mean time away from developing the core software as well as delays in releasing add-ons (plus no doubt higher charges for add-ons as they would have to charge for checking - time is money after all - and the add-on devs would pass on the cost to users). Besides, what exactly is there to check anyway? As I said, out-of-date to you and me using XenForo 1.4 is up-to-date to users still on older versions. Completely dead (I presume you mean no support?) doesn't mean that the add-on doesn't work or isn't any use to some people. About the only thing that can be checked is if resources are breaking the rules that were recently put in place and that relies on us to report issues to the team as they cannot check every add-on.

That's why they introduced the "Unmaintained" prefix. But from what I understand it has to be set by the developer.

XF staff have marked a number of resources Unmaintained based on author's who are no longer able to support their add-ons (e.g. resource authors who have been banned).

It can be set by the resource author and staff.

I'm certainly not going to check each add-on though and contact the author to see if they're still around/supporting it/licensed/etc.

As stated above, the only time we definitively know an author is no longer around is when they have been banned.

The developer has been online since then.

Please stop telling us how to do our job.
Report the resource - if it meets the criteria then it will be prefixed accordingly.

The developer has been online since then.

Please stop telling us how to do our job.
Report the resource - if it meets the criteria then it will be prefixed accordingly.

Oh and it is not a case of telling you how to do your job but more trying to understand how it works.

The fact it is a dead link when purchasing it does that not tell you something, so what purpose is it being left online for then. The last time there was any response from the coder in his support thread was ZeZeene, Jan 20, 2014. We have 16 post after this without any response from the coder!

So yes I am at a loss as to what criteria is used in determining an add on is dead then!

Perhaps it would have been useful if you had supplied all of the relevant information when you reported it.

Just stating that "the members does not even seem to be active here any longer" is NOT sufficient grounds for having a resource marked as unmaintained.

This is why I started this thread to try and get some clarity on how this is done but it seems like it is more trouble than what it is worth trying to point out these things, so in future I will just move along if I do notice one :D

This is why I started this thread to try and get some clarity on how this is done but it seems like it is more trouble than what it is worth trying to point out these things, so in future I will just move along if I do notice one :D
No clarity is needed. It's common sense. Report a resource with all details of why you believe it to be maintained. I did this and the resource I reported was promptly marked as such.

No clarity is needed. It's common sense. Report a resource with all details of why you believe it to be maintained. I did this and the resource I reported was promptly marked as such.

As they say third time lucky but then I am just blond so in future I will leave it up to the non blonds to report :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom