XF 1.5 Database Question

Larrabee

Greetings.

Currently setting up a small forum. I'm fairly clueless about such things (but managing nonetheless) and have some questions.

The site is hosted at Network Solutions. Presently have xenForo with the media center operational and I'm learning about templates and styles. Cool stuff so far.

When preparing to install xenForo, while creating the mysql database, I noticed that NS wants to charge $5 a month for each 1000MB database, with the first 300MB database being free. What the heck and how does this work? How can one "forum" use more than one database?

So, once I use up my 300MB, from xenForo's point of view, then what?

Thanks.

When preparing to install xenForo, while creating the mysql database, I noticed that NS wants to charge $5 a month for each 1000MB database, with the first 300MB database being free. What the heck and how does this work? How can one "forum" use more than one database?

Sounds like it may be time to find a new host, an empty XenForo install's database is nearly that big :eek: and charging for multiple databases is a bit silly

A hosting service that charges for each GB of database sounds like a crappy one.

Counting the database size into the total storage size I understand, but charging that much? I'd switch.

But to answer your question: A fresh installation of XenForo, plus MG, should be about 50MB or less (mine, a fresh install, is 46MB).

I honestly don't know what they (NS) expect you to do. From the NS hosting admin page:

ZHEEgDc.jpg

QolSE4r.jpg

Makes no sense. Surely I'm not the first guy to run up against this...

Most hosts aren't going to charge you to create more databases, or charge you based on the size of the database specifically :o

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in looking for a new host, got a few things you can check out :)

Top Bottom